NERO ripping with LAME encoding... XP question?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Wong, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

You guys, I have just upgraded my PC to Windows XP. I am currently ripping tracks off my own CD collection with NERO (ver. 5.5?) and I am doing all of my encoding with LAME. With LAME, I am using the "--alt-preset standard" string, as from what I understand it has undergone the most testing and sound quality is excellent. The downside to that, of course, is you never really know the file size outcome. If it's a newer recording, LAME usually ends up encoding tracks anywhere from 190kbps - 230kbps. This is fine with me since I know I'm getting a good quality MP3. However, after looking at all of my MP3's in Windows Explorer on my hard drive, I have them all organized by artist name and song title. To the right of the song title, it shows the bit rate of that particular file. All of my MP3's in Windows Explorer show a bit rate of over 400kbps! Some even at 500kbps and 600kbps!! This can't be accurate as I thought even the best quality MP3 had a "cap", so to speak of 320kbps??? What is going on? Why are the bit rate's so off the chart? LAME never encodes a track at a bit rate like the those.

Any ideas?

Scott.

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I imagine it's because the files are encoded with variable-rate. Windows probably can't figure out what rate they're at so throws out an erroneous figure.

3. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Rob's right. I never noticed it with Windoes, but I know Kazaa does the same thing; it says all VBR mp3s are 128Kb. And don't forget that "190kbps - 230kbps" is the real average.

4. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

Exactly. I am ripping at VBR. That's odd how XP simply tosses out a figure. *shrug* I'm just glad to know that's the case. Thanks.