What's new

Nero failing? (1 Viewer)

John Watson

Screenwriter
Or could it be the burner.

Not too many problems for a year or so

But recently, I was doing a set of cd-rs and on about 3 of 6 attempts I have had failures, with the message "SCSI/ATAPI command timeout error".

The process seems to stall at 8%, and I've had to use reset, which generated a scan disk prompt, which on each occasion found an error : "Drive boot area contains damaged or invalid" stuff. It offers to correct the error, which I have permitted.

The last time however, the next burn attempt failed again.

The computer has Windows ME, and some light Nero version. I am using Verbatim disks, which i understand to be among the better quality.

I've turned that computer off for the night.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

John Watson

Screenwriter
You may be right.

I tried again after the machine was off for a few hours, and this time, it got way past 8%, but somewhere around 80% I got told Nero had caused a GPF... :frowning:

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor
I never had any problems with Nero 5, but this Nero Reloaded (or whatever this version that they bundle with new burners is called) is a pain in the ass.

In my case, I get "power calibration" errors that according to the Nero website are caused by a problem in either my DVD burner or the computer's power supply. This is horseshit, as I know both are working perfectly. I never get any errors when burning a CD or DVD directly from another application, such as Pinnacle Studio 9.

Updating to the latest version of Nero hasn't solved the problems, but it has cut down the number of bad burns. I no longer get errors when burning an audio CD, but DVD burning still has issues. Incidentally, the progress bar is always at 8% when these problems occur.

John Watson

Screenwriter
8% as well? Interesting.

Some googling found a few who said it might be I was trying to burn too fast, or that the brand of cd-r might be implicated.

All my experience with cd-r tells me I will never bother with DVD-R :frowning:

For other reasons, I will move onto XP later this year, but I doubt that I will love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks