What's new

Nero & Dell - not a game as we know it Jim! (1 Viewer)

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is for gaming stuff, but in desperation - can anyne suggest any help for a new high spec Dell system that won't write CD's or format CD-WR's ?
Dell aren't interested because they say sic is Copyright. I say I bought the original CD and a comlation for my car.
It usually gets to 99% and then has a write error.
I've tried copying discs I've copied before (on old system) but still no use.
Any help appreciated :frowning:

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Your best place to try would be in the PC section, but what is the title you wish to copy? I take it that you're hitting an issue with an audio CD. It may be (if you let us know the title we might be able to confirm) that you have one of the titles with Safedisc on it - if so take it back to the shop and complain is your best bet.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Iain, I’ve even tried copying discs I copied before on my old system so copy protection isn’t a problem. Dell managed to copy a data disc while I was on to help line so they say it’s working and aren’t interested.

I’ve trashed so many CDR’s & CDWR’s that it’s not funny any more.

I really don’t know how to proceed. I’ve tried Nero help number in Los Angeles but it’s always a voice mail I get.

But why always fail at 99%?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Well, step number one would be to stick to testing with RWs, so its not loss if it fails again. Are you doing a direct disc-to-disc copy, or going via the hard-drive? If its ripped to the drive first then you at least know for sure its on the write. It sounds like its hitting a problem with the lead-out closing the disc, at a guess; let us know more.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
I can’t stick to RW’s because I can’t format them, that operation also fails after it’s been running for a while! I’ve tried ‘copy on the fly’ which I think is disc to disc and have also tried to hard disk first (but not for a while…) I’ll go and try one via the hard disc and report back!

Many thanks

Stewart.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Another thought – I’ve saved some of the error logs (in fact I emailed them to Nero) if they mean anything to anybody here?

Stewart

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST!

Tried the copy from hard drive setting but the same result – failed at 99%

It was a copy of my AutoRoute disc I tried, and although it failed, it does work when I put it in the normal CD drive? I guess if I tried to install from it, it might find something ‘missing’ but it seems to provide the data to create routes etc.?

Heeeellp!

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, just tried it again and it didn’t work – the disc just kept spinning away and the program didn’t complete loading at all! (Maybe the first time I tried it had all it needed in its memory from the copying!?

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
If you can read the disc that it failed to complete writing it does sound like a problem closing the disc. I've a really nasty feeling its a hardware problem, but you're welcome to try me with the errors.

Dell claiming that its a copyright issue that you can't format a blank CDRW is clearly a load of tosh - there's no info on there to be copyrighted!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks