What's new

Neoya X2VGA (1 Viewer)

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody using the Neoya X2VGA with their Xbox on a computer monitor. Will this give us major improvement with those who don't have an HD capable television? Looking for those who might have had first hand experience with this thing.

For those who don't know, here is the link:
X2VGA

Scroll to the bottom of the page for reviews by various gaming sites.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I have been using one for a few months now and I couldn't be happier with it. The picture is outstanding and it is very easy to setup. Two big :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: on this. Ask me any questions you have.

Dean

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
It's good to hear that you like it!

Have you been able to compare the picture quality to an Xbox running on a HDTV? I am assuming it should yield the same results, as long as the TV doesn't upscale or downscale the signal.

Do you have the VGA Switcher they are currently shipping it with? Did you notice any downgrade in PQ when using it with a computer?

Also what would the difference be between this and a transcoder? Do you know of any similar products for the Gamecube (similarly priced that is)?

Thanks!

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I have an HDTV that I also use my Xbox on and the monitor beats it hands down for PQ, the only disadvantage is the size of the picture.

Yes I also have the switcher from them and it works perfectly, no downgrade in PQ at all. The only annoying thing that I have found with it was the plugs for the input cables had the nuts on the sides that I couldn't remove, so I had to dremel the nuts off the ends of my VGA cables so they would go in to the switch.

This has an extra output option that will let you see the 480i desktop menu of the Xbox as where every other VGA box that I have used doesn't. It looks like crap, but does the job.

Dean

Bruce_S

Second Unit
Will the Neoya X2VGA adapter work with the PS2 too? I know, the PS2 got some games that runs at 480i.

-bruce

TonyE

Stunt Coordinator
It is my understanding that the PS2 doesn't output VGA natively, like the Xbox and Dreamcast does. Thus wouldn't work, since i don't think this is really a VGA converter. Just a way to pass the native VGA signal to your monitor. Now the Gamecube might be capable of natively outputing VGA as well, but this box uses the Xbox's video out jack that is not the same as the Gamecube's or PS2's.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I have an X2VGA attached to a 21" Dell UltraSharp flat panel. Now, although the picture has nice definition, everything has a strong purple tint to it. It's very annoying and oppressive. When I attach the composite cable to the monitor, all colors are totally normal. Colors displayed by my Dell PC with the Radeon 9700 Pro through both the DV-I and VGA ports are vibrant and accurate.

I farted around with changing the monitor's color temperature settings and got rid of some of the tint when the Xbox is on, but of course that screwed up what I see when I switch back to DV-I mode for my PC.

Any clues as to what could be causing the purple tint? Is it simply a matter of the signal processing not being agreeable with my flat panel? Is this just the way it is with some flat panels, or do I have a faulty X2VGA device?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have an HDTV that I also use my Xbox on and the monitor beats it hands down for PQ, the only disadvantage is the size of the picture.
How large is your HDTV? If your HDTV were the size of a 17" monitor (or vice versa) I'm sure the difference would not be so great. In my case, I would be choosing between VGA output on a 17" monitor or component output on a 42" widescreen RPTV, coming down to a decision between perceived improvement in PQ (due in part to size) or a much larger image and a decrease in PQ.

RANDY FISHER

Second Unit
This one is supposed to be better.

http://www.vdigi.com

It also has some sort of fix for the purple tint.

From their FAQ:

"My adapters have a problem using XBOX V1.4/V1.5, the Diagonal lines accross the screen and purplish colours. Will VD-Z3 have the same problem?

A: No, VD-Z3 is completely support all current version of XBOX"

There are also some links posted for reviews of this device on the site above.

Randy

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I have both. The VD-Z3 is the better adapter of the two. Not only does it correct the purple issue but it is also capable of playing 480p GC and PS2 games. It includes a VGA in and out if you would like to keep the Vdigi plugged in at all times with the comp and Xbox as well (to be fair the X2VGA ships with a video selector for this purpose but its already built into the VD-Z3). You also get the same audio Y-cable for free along with a USB connector which allows you to use your Xbox controller and the component cables you'll need to connect to the Xbox (no need for the hi-def pack, same as the X2VGA) on your PC. It all works flawlessly.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
This just in: I resolved my "dark purple tinge" problem with my 3rd generation Xbox and X2VGA adapter by flipping dip switch #3 to the "off" position.

In a word: THISSUCKERISTOTALLYFRIGGINGAWESOME.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I just got my VD-Z3. Pretty cool. I don't know if I'll give up playing on my 42" HDTV but it's nice to have a choice.

However I am curious what to use with the XBOX USB cable? Is this for a keyboard?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Guys,

Is the VD-Z3 a real transcoder (able to trancode any progressive component signal to VGA) or is it just for the x-box.

I'd like to use it (or something similar) to send signal from DirectTV to my pj. Looking for a transcoder with VGA passthrough.

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks