Neo Tokyo - correct aspect ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jonathan W, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

The aspect ratio on Neo Tokyo looks curious at full frame. I remember seeing the "Running Man" segment on MTV many years ago and that was shown in letterbox. The cartoons on Neo Tokyo look as if they were taken from a 1.66:1 or 1.78:1 aspect ratio and strteched vertically to make a full frame image. This appears especially to be true when any circular images appear, like light flairs or a propeller/fan on a boat: these images always show through as ovals, not circles. Anyone know anything about this?

2. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Manie Manie Meikyuu Monogatari.

Hmm, perhaps this should go into the Anime Discussion thread. In any case, this should be letterboxed. I cannot tell you what the OAR is, but the original Japanese LD is letterboxed. The question then becomes, what are you doing with your system? The symptoms you describe sound as though you are using some sort of a "zoom" mode, either on your TV or your player, or else trying to play back 16:9 anamorphic widescreen on a 4:3 set. This title is not meant to be seen in "full frame" on such a set, so can you explain what settings &c. you are using to get it to display this way?

3. Jonathan W

Jonathan W Agent

I have a Sony DVP NC685V. This player does not have a zoom mode. More importantly, the title description on the box says that the film is full frame, as it plays on my machine. I've tried every mode on my player, and the disk holds true to its stated specifications of full frame.

Is this unusual for an Anime to be released in a stretched aspect ratio?

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

NOT NORMAL. This is the only case of this I have ever heard of. What is the disc catalogue number and supplier, i.e. is this the official U.S. ADVision NTSC disc DNT/01, or something else? My advice would be to treat this as a 16*9 anamorphic title. Do you have access to another DVD setup [computer, friend's, &c.] so that you can try to replicate the effect? The most obvious suggestion is that the "full frame" notice is in error, and you should force your player to letterbox it as a 16*9 title; virtually all players have this function, although you say you have tried "every function".