What's new

Nemo sequel?? (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Hi Matthew,

Thats not entirely true about toy story 2. Disney did want a direct to video sequel but Pixar refused to do it so they agreed they would make a proper sequel rather than what Disney originally wanted.

Lance UK"

"No, Toy Story 2 was conceived and started as a DTV sequel, and Pixar worked on it, but after the first screening all involved decided it was good enough to bump up to theatrical."

During the production process, Pixar felt releasing the film direct to video would be a missed opportunity. They convinced Disney to go ahead with a theatrical version, and portions of the film were re-worked extensively to bring them up to "theatrical issue quality".

"And, no Disney won't be doing the sequel for two reasons: (1) Pixar, not Disney owns this property and (2) Pixar is about to leave Disney."

1) Disney owns Finding Nemo, and owns all the sequel rights to Nemo. If they want to make a cheapquel, they have every legal right. The moral right, however, is another story.

2) If you were under that contract, you'd want to leave too. Too bad Disney owns all of Pixar's film, and all the sequel rights, on through Cars in 2005.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Hi Matthew,

Thats not entirely true about toy story 2. Disney did want a direct to video sequel but Pixar refused to do it so they agreed they would make a proper sequel rather than what Disney originally wanted.

Lance UK"

"No, Toy Story 2 was conceived and started as a DTV sequel, and Pixar worked on it, but after the first screening all involved decided it was good enough to bump up to theatrical."

During the production process, Pixar felt releasing the film direct to video would be a missed opportunity. They convinced Disney to go ahead with a theatrical version, and portions of the film were re-worked extensively to bring them up to "theatrical issue quality".

"And, no Disney won't be doing the sequel for two reasons: (1) Pixar, not Disney owns this property and (2) Pixar is about to leave Disney."

1) Disney owns Finding Nemo, and owns all the sequel rights to Nemo. If they want to make a cheapquel, they have every legal right. The moral right, however, is another story.

2) If you were under that contract, you'd want to leave too. Too bad Disney owns all of Pixar's film, and all the sequel rights, on through Cars in 2005.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Shrek 2 may have out-grossed Nemo, but I can tell you exactly which one will still be watched years from now. Anyone disagree?

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Shrek 2 may have out-grossed Nemo, but I can tell you exactly which one will still be watched years from now. Anyone disagree?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
That's the danger of assuming great box office equates to great love or popularity from the audience. Look at The Phantom Menace -- hardly a film I could call "popular" these days, but it made a mint. Pearl Harbor grossed 200 million, and I don't know anyone who actually likes it.

I think people will still be watching the Shrek films in the future. DreamWorks is to Pixar what the Looney Tunes were to Disney, and I suppose we should be happy to have both. The real question is -- can DreamWorks make a hit animated film that doesn't rely on the Fractured Fairy Tales concept and cheap shots at the classic Disney films? Can they make a hit without the name "Shrek" on it?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
That's the danger of assuming great box office equates to great love or popularity from the audience. Look at The Phantom Menace -- hardly a film I could call "popular" these days, but it made a mint. Pearl Harbor grossed 200 million, and I don't know anyone who actually likes it.

I think people will still be watching the Shrek films in the future. DreamWorks is to Pixar what the Looney Tunes were to Disney, and I suppose we should be happy to have both. The real question is -- can DreamWorks make a hit animated film that doesn't rely on the Fractured Fairy Tales concept and cheap shots at the classic Disney films? Can they make a hit without the name "Shrek" on it?

chris winters

Second Unit
SharkTale :), no longer sharkslayer

I can testify that it is shaping up to be pretty good. It has a different look then shrek. Its funny, and has heart. I cant say for sure that it will be another shrek level success, but should at least be interesting.

chris winters

Second Unit
SharkTale :), no longer sharkslayer

I can testify that it is shaping up to be pretty good. It has a different look then shrek. Its funny, and has heart. I cant say for sure that it will be another shrek level success, but should at least be interesting.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was just talking to my parents, who are really not big movie goers (I think the last film they saw was ROTK, about a month after release). They went to see Shrek 2 last night, saw the trailer for Shark Tale, and were pretty excited by it.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator

Sure. Watching both is allowed. But as time goes on, Shrek2 will become less and less relevant. Too many of the jokes are based on "current" events - events people still remember. There is going to be a time when those events are forgotten.

Finding Nemo on the other hand is a much more timeless story.

Just my opinion,

- bones

chris winters

Second Unit
many of the old warner brothers cartoons, with bugs, daffy etc... are filled with topical gags, referances from the 30,40,50s. Look how those held up.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Chris, my mom made mention of that as well, and my response is this...

Those old cartoons make reference to pretty well known gags, and the topical humor is pretty relevant, and works. With Shrek 2, the jokes are literally "Of the now."

It's like comparing the end of Wayne's World 2 (with the spoof of "The Graduate.") This will last a long time, because while the graduate didn't come out in the past few years, it's a well remembered, and classic film. Scary Movie 3, making jokes about Michael Jackson holding his kids out the window? Are future generations really going to get that?

Maybe if the joke was just about Michael Jackson, that would be something memorable enough...

Shrek was timeless because it spoofed mostly timeless things, stuff that will be relevant. Shrek 2 feels so burned into NOW, that I can't imagine enjoying it as much in 10 years.

Same thing as the earlier Gilmore Girls episodes. The dialogue and one-liners were mostly directed at Pop Culture. However, there were also many jokes that referenced movies/shows/worldly situations, that will make sense in another 10 years. "It's in the box!" "Oscar!" "Felix!" "Fine..." (throws old pizza in the trash)

However, in the later seasons, when the show instead makes a reference to something like "The Simple Life." Is anyone going to really remember that show in 20 years?

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Gilmore girls makes very obscure references to po-culture from the 80's and before as well which most people don't get (there have been many that I've explained to my wife or she's expained to, and others neither of us get). What makes that show great is its energy.

The same thing could be said about Aladdin, I mean is any kid now-a-days going to get the Arsenio arm pump joke? Probably not, but there's enough energy there to keep them watching.

Shrek 2 is hardly something I'll be watching years from now (like the original, once is enough), but there's still plenty there to keep kids interested that doesn't rely on topical humor.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I fully agree, my point was that the original gilmore girls episodes had a sweetness, and type of humor that's not as apparent in the episodes now. The timeless references appear to be completely missing, and the show mostly just takes jabs at what's currently hot.

Shrek relied heavily on topical humor, just not as much as the sequel did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks