Neilson TV ratings guy hung up on me

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Timon Russo, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

I agreed to do "a brief phone survey" when he called just now, but his only question was would I like to write down what I watch for a week and mail it back to them postage paid and I said no thanks. He asked again and I declined, so he hung up. I'm on the national do-not-call, and if I keep getting "research" calls like this, I'm going to start wishing I could block them too.

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I don't have a home phone, just a cell #.
    It works out pretty well [​IMG]

3. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i'm thinking about not having any phones, i'll use pay phones like gene hackman in the conversation. it may not be convenient for people who want to reach me, but it would be very convenient for me. has anyone actually not had a phone in their apt/house?

CJ

4. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

I don't have a home phone. I just use the cell phone from my company. It works out great. I do, however, get waaaay too many calls from firms wanting to do surveys for the hospital I work in. Just stunning how many companies want to know about my network. I just tell them we dont do surveys anymore.

5. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

You passed a chance to participate in the Nielson Ratings???

You have officially forever voided you right to complain about the crap on television.

6. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I would have welcomed a call from a TV ratings survey, maybe then someone would get through their thick skulls why I haven't watched anything on TV in about 10 years!!
    Most people simply do not like to be called about anything though- I worked for a phone survey company a few years ago (survey topics were usually boring, like satisfaction with a city's garbage service) and most people that answered would not want to do the survey, even when it was made clear that they wouldn't be asked to buy anything. I'd never use a phone survey as a viable way of getting public opinion; sometimes I wonder if anything really is (perhaps the internet, but that's too easy for people in charge to pay attention to apparently.)

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

More like "it's too unrepresentative a group, too easy to fake, too easy for people at the survey company to fake", etc.

Regards,

Joe

8. James T

James T Screenwriter

I got a call about a radio survey a few months back. All I had to do was record the time/station I listened to for a week. They didn't mention any payment, but when I received the survey in the mail, I found $5.00 in it. I thought it was alright, considering I just listen to the radio whenever I drive, so it was pretty easy to fill it out.

Then a month after that, I received a call from the same company telling me that I'm getting another survey(I never said I'd do two, but they seemed to have sent it without asking me). When the new survey came in, it was a 70 page survey asking shopping questions(everything from toilet paper to cars to even banks). It took me 2 days to finish it. I held onto it for about a month after I finished it before sending it it. Not worth $5.00, but I hope the note I left to exclude me from future surveys gets through.

9. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

I received a phone call many years ago from the TV ratings group asking me to become a ratings home. I agreed to the request and they started asking me a few questions; how often do I watch TV, how many TV's do I own, number of people in the home, things like that. After about 15 minutes of questioning they asked something about my living environment and my response mentioned that I was in the military living in the dorms.
    That quickly ended my involvment with the ratings as I was then told "Oh, we can't have members that live in dorms take part in our survey."
    Oh well, didn't seem all that interesting to me to begin with.

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Plus, Nielson sends you $5 with the logbooks you get. Just fill them out, mail them in. Not that hard [​IMG]

11. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al

I've been told that before, and then 3 minutes further into the conversations I was being sold something. So now I find it easier to simply decline all phone surveys.

12. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

First question - How much you payin' me to be a member of your focus group?

In the almost unheard of case, where it might be worth it to me (say $100 an hour), I want to know what the questions are - usually they are crudely designed to get answers to confirm preconceptions, and my opinion won't make a difference in the market's scheme to deliver more crap to the public.

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

That was you?

14. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Ha ! Dave Poehlman, why didn't you mention the $5? I would have jumped at it!

15. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I watched a friend spend a few weeks with only his cell-phone that had a dying battery -- it would hang up after about 3 minutes conversation. It was a bother for friends: it was hard to get hold of him. And when trying to give directions to a friend for a party out of town, he had to borrow my phone, since his kept dying. It was not convenient for him, nor his friends.

Then, when he transitioned to a new cell phone, a glitch in the setup process left him without any phone for a week. He doesn't use the phone, doesn't like talking on the phone, and saw little point in having a phone -- and it was a real pain. He was much better off when he got phone service again.

If you're serious about going phoneless, try a soft cutoff. For the next two weeks, don't answer any calls, place any calls, and delete all messages without listening to them. Make calls from work; all "home" calls from a pay phone (as you suggest). Use email as much as you want. And let us know how it works out!

16. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    My wife and I did cellphones only for about 2 years when we lived in an apartment. It was not a problem at all.

But now I run a business out of our house, so we have a land line for that, but we still receive and make most of our calls on our cellphones.

17. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Pay phones are getting harder and harder to find. Once upon a time they would be by every bus stop....NOT ANYMORE!

18. David McGough

David McGough Second Unit

My wife agreed to do the Nielso rateings survey.
    In comes the mail a booklet and there are 5 $1.00 bills for her doing this.
    I always told them Im not interested, wife has summers off
    and was glad to do it..
    All she watches is QVC and Jepardy. It will boreing