Neil Young - Harvest DVD-Audio: 6 channel track screwed up??

Discussion in 'Music' started by Dan Hitchman, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

I just picked up the Harvest DVD-Audio disc and I'm very curious as to whether they screwed up encoding the multi-channel tracks.

It sounds flipped, for lack of a better term. It's as if the back channels and the front channels were in reverse as his singing and most instruments come roaring strongly out of the back channels, but the fronts sound like they're the ones with the "echo" effect. Not one other title of my many DVD-Audio or SACD's is like this. Not one.

Was this normal (and the sound mixers had no idea what they were doing), or is this disc defective (and if so was there a re-mastering done?)?

Thanks!!

Dan

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

No clue on this Dan, I don't have it, but have you inquired over at Steve Hoffman's Forums?

Lots of Neil Young threads there, particularly as relates to the DVD-A's and latest Remasters.

BGL

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I've had this disc for a little while, but only have two-channel set-up for DVD-A (except for the DTS/DD tracks). I think the two-channel track of "Harvest" is phenomenal, but I've never ever listened to the multichannel.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that the overwhelming response to the multichannel track of "Harvest" is along the lines of ... wtf?!?

In other words, you'll have to ask alot of people before you find someone who likes it. They're out there, but there ain't many of 'em.

Short response: it's meant to sound that way (believe it or not).

4. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

Here I am!!! I LOVE it!

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I don't care for it. Have not listened to the disc in a a while. I remember seeing posts people wrote that indicated it sounds like it was recorded inside an acoustic guitar. There are several posts at audioasylum.com such as: http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?...st&r=&session=

6. Miles

Miles Second Unit

I have this disc and much prefer the 2-channel mix... although for Beck's "Sea Changes" I much prefer the multi-channel...

7. Gabriela Mendez

Gabriela Mendez Stunt Coordinator

No prob's here. Have the one with no jewel case. Sounds great in DVD-A multichannel.