Neil Young DVDAs - not MC

Discussion in 'Music' started by LarryDavenport, Sep 15, 2003.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    That's good news Larry. I especially like this part:

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Thanks for the link Larry. This is actually a step forward for Warner, issuing their first stereo-only DVD-A. Earlier they insisted on surround tracks as well, and where not appropriate the CD would be the only version.

4. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Great! [​IMG]

Can't wait to hear 'The Old Homestead' on Hawks And Doves, 'Shots' on Re-Ac-Tor. But really, hearing side 2 of On The Beach will be a real spine-tingler, for sure. [​IMG]

# You're all just pissing in the wind # [​IMG]

Gordy

5. Kristoffer

Kristoffer Second Unit

I am thinking about getting some of these, but where should I start?

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Hi, Kristoffer. To be honest, American Stars 'N' Bars, Hawks And Doves and Re-Ac-Tor are not among Neil's best, nevertheless, they each contain at least one great song: 'Will To Love' / 'Like A Hurricane'; 'The Old Homestead' and 'Shots' on Re-Ac-Tor, although I prefer the acoustic readings from his 1978 gigs at The Boarding House, but it is a thundering rock song and will sound great on the new DVD-A.

And then there's On The Beach. Many consider it his greatest album and it is great. It helps if you know where Young was at in late '73 and early '74 - Tonight's The Night is an essential album that you really ought to hear before you hear On The Beach - but on it's own it is sharply written and loosely performed album. 'For The Turnstiles' and 'Ambulance Blues' are masterpieces of anti-Superstardom, written at a time when Rock was losing it's innocence. 'Ambulance Blues' is epic, labrynthine, extraordinary, which Young reflecting on his past and the vacuous, fragile position that Rock offers, plus jabs at music critics and Dick Nixon - all to the strum and Bert Jansch-inspired twang of his drop-tuned 6-string, harmonica, bass by Ben Keith and amazing fiddle work from the late, great Rusty Kershaw. On The Beach, along with Tonight's The Night ushered in the dawn of Punk, for sure - but Young didn't know it at the time!

# Now I'm living out here on the beach, but those seagulls are still outta reach #

Hopefully, next year will bring more of his big guns:

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    Tonight's The Night
    Zuma
    Comes A Time
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory

Along with his truly comprehensive multi-multi-multi disc Anthology boxed set! [​IMG]

All the best,

Gordy

7. Stu Rosen

Stu Rosen Second Unit

As much as I'd love to hear a newly-recorded Neil Young album in multi-channel, I can't see myself purchasing Greendale, which to this long-time Young fan seems tired, monotonous and, frankly, just not very good. It's all I can do to get myself to even listen to it again.

Now, On the Beach -- that's another story. I just purchased it, but could be persuaded to upgrade to DVD-A if it made a difference. Release Tonight's the Night in DVD-A, and I'll bet there -- great, scary, sloppy masterpiece.

8. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

I found the experience of the Greendale album to be similar to Harvest - good songs in solo concert, but spoiled by the artiface of the studio (or barn [​IMG] ) recording. The DVD disc of the Dublin gig is superior to the CD disc, in my opinion. The album recordings lack the personal emotion of the solo gigs and the lyrics aren't as clear. In short, I don't feel that electrifying the songs was a good move. Maybe he just felt it was time for another Crazy Horse album - the fans had been pining for one for years.

Now, On The Beach in 176 khz / 24-bit stereo will be great, I'm sure. Harvest's DVD-A stereo track was 192 khz and sounded amazing and I'm sure the upgrade will be worth it. Pity that there's no bonus tracks like his arrangement of Greensleeves from this period, but I guess he's saving that for the boxed set and letting the album stand on it's own.

It'll be interesting to see exactly what the 'music video' for 'Like A Hurricane' will be. Could it be the film clip that was shown on The Midnight Special TV show from 1976? Or is it something newly shot? Can't wait!

Gordy

9. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

All titles have been delayed until 9th December according to an e-mail I received from DVD Empire. [​IMG]

Typical Neil! [​IMG]

Gordy

10. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

On the one hand I'm pissed but I also have so much more to buy that month that at least my wallet is happy.