What's new

Neil Simon's The Odd Couple - great transfer! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Last night I watched The Odd Couple on DVD. It was the first time since getting my new HDTV that I have seen this disc. I felt compelled to chime in and say what a wonderful transfer this disc is. Sure, no extras, but it's the standard high quality Paramount transfer we've come to expect.
I was amazed just watching it on my 47" Panny, which was just ISF'd by Michael TLV. I have truly never seen The Odd Couple look this good. For those curious, it is a 2.35 anamorphic transfer that shows very few print flaws, just a couple of white specks sprinkled sporadically (and not very often) throughout the film. No major print damage to speak of. The 5.1 soundtrack is very subtle, not offering much of a "gimmicky" feel, just recreating the original track for the most part.
I don't know if this film has just survived time very well, or if Paramount did a restoration job (I suspect the latter) but I doubt this film has looked this good since its theatrical runs.
If you're a fan of this film, pick up this DVD ASAP!

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
Carlo-
I enthusiastically agree. It is a great transfer and a great movie, I generally like the quality of Paramount's transfers. Rosemary's Baby, Mommie Dearest, A Place In The Sun are three other Paramount standouts that come to mind. Not always the best restorations, sometimes they show warts and all of the the source print, but the transfers are generally very filmic. Now that you have an HD widescreen set up you can really appreciate a good quality transfer, especially anamorphic widescreen.

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Thanks for the confirmation, Carlo. This title was on my long list for purchases. It has now moved up. :)
------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
And you know what? I've been whistling that damned theme song all day. My coworkers are like, "hey, I know that song!"
It has been a nice last few days taking in some classics: The Odd Couple, Rear Window & North by Northwest.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
All 3 are great looking DVDs of great films. I agree that the Odd Couple disc is strong. Plus what a wonderful film.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I really wanted to buy this but with no extras, it's just too much. Actually it would be to much with extras. Maybe I'll ask for it for Christmas. :)

Mitty

Supporting Actor
The DVD was the first time I'd ever seen the movie in widescreen. What a joy to behold. The panning and scanning, coupled with the panning of the camera in the early scenes in Oscar's apartment, always made me feel slightly dizzy. There is no worse effect than panning of panning, especially if it's going in the opposite direction to the camera.
smiley_dizzy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks