Neil LaBute's 'Possession'

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Edwin Pereyra, Aug 14, 2002.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

Much probably like the film itself, Neil LaBute's latest film quietly goes on limited release this weekend. This will be his fourth feature film after Nurse Betty, Your Friends & Neighbors and In the Company of Men.
    Possession looks to be a very different project for him just by looking at his previous films. With the exception of YF&N, I enjoyed his other two films. It would be very interesting to see how this romantic drama plays out and what, if any, he adds to this genre.
    ~Edwin

2. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

I've seen a commercial for this in Atlanta, so I'm hoping it opens here this week since I still can't pinpoint an opening date back home in Columbus. I intend to see it this weekend if it opens here in the ATL.

3. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    It is a VERY different film for him. I didn't care for it all that much. It plays a little too slow at times, and too sappy at others. And, I didn't care much for the "new" character played by Eckhart (and contrived in order to give a jolt to the story).

Still, pretty good performances all around and it's a nice looking film.

More or less, pretty typical chick-flick melodrama. I prefer the adaptation of Byatt's "Angels and Insects".

Read the novel. It's as dense as modern writing gets, but it's an interesting read if you can muddle through the first 150 pages.

4. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'm looking forward to it. I'm a big LaBute fan and would be first in line for anything he does, no matter the genre or style. Like Mark, I can't find an opening date for Chicago.
    I'd love to find out what the music used in the trailer is. It sounds like Loreena McKennitt. The official site is useless, and there's no soundtrack info on IMDB. Amazon has a listing, but no information. I guess I'll know soon enough.
    Quentin, a book is ALWAYS better. That goes without saying, and with all due respect, is why I don't usually listen to book fans who don't like a movie made from that book. Sorry [​IMG]. I probably will read it at some point, though fiction isn't usually my thing (I'm a non-fiction/biography/history person).

5. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I'm not a book fan. I just happen to have read this one.

For the record...I disagree. The book, IMO, is NOT always better.

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I'm not sure why the film plays a little too slow, like you said Quentin, when the bookt itself is thematically rich and engrossing.

Maybe looking at it at a different persperctive, the film works more as a companion piece to the previous Merchant Ivory films. I'll have to find out for myself.

~Edwin

7. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

You're in luck Mark, it does open today in Atlanta at Phipps Plaza and 3-4 other theaters.

I don't know if I want to see this or not. Since Rain and The Fast Runner left town this week without me getting to see them, I'm not enthused by anything out right now. The Kid Stays in the Picture feels more like a rental than something I need to see right now.

8. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    My fiance` and I just returned from seeing Possession and we both liked it very much.(See Review[​IMG])
    In short, I didn't think it was slow or contrived and the fact that a characters nationality was changed didn't seem to make that much of a difference.
    We both thought it was a smart, well developed dual love story/mystery with great performances and likeable characters. It was leisurely paced but we both thought it wasn't dull in the least. It worked for both of us completely.[​IMG]
    Highly recommended.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Mark Pfeiffer

Mark Pfeiffer Screenwriter

Brook, I did see it (and The Good Girl) today at Phipps Plaza. Lucky that there were somewhere along the line of 25 minutes of ads and trailers before Possession started since I left later than intended from my brother's house and then had to go up and down the escalators searching for the ticket office. Needless to say, I was surprised that not only did I see the whole film but also a trailer and a half. Great to see this film on such a big screen.
    I liked it a fair amount, but since I'm a sucker for movies with Gwyneth Paltrow, perhaps that should factor into the equation. My rating verdict is fluctuating between [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (or the equivalent B or B+).
    Since LaBute is so in love with words, Possession is a logical project, and there's still some of the sexual politicking that so heavily drives his other films. It's a "nice" movie compared to the others, FWIW. It's unabashedly romantic and reserved, qualities missing in most modern "love stories". The great settings enhance the production.

10. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

I highly recommend this.

It's a chick flick on one level for sure, but the history/mystery part works well, too, for the less sentimental. It's very refreshing to see the written word (and even poetry) treated as, and actually be, very sexy - definitely NOT a typical "summer film".

This also has beautiful scenery and cineamatography, with very good transitions between the modern and Victorian couples.

Part of what works well for me in this movie is the casting of the Victorian couple. I haven't ever seen Jeremy Northam in a "bad" film, that I can recall. Jennifer Ehle is perfectly cast here, but also easily conjures up for me the same era of literate romance, since she was the female lead in the BBC's terrific version of Pride & Prejudice.

11. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

It's funny, I saw this a couple of weeks ago, and though I liked it a lot (my husband enjoyed it too), it was gone from my head almost immediately after leaving the theater. There isn't much that really lingers and makes you think. It was mainly, interesting premise, nice writing, pretty scenery, good acting, good for LaBute, they should make more movies like this...next!

The only downsides were

12. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer