What's new

Neighbors keep calling the cops on me (1 Viewer)

I have a HSU VTF-2 in an apartment on a second floor. I didn't have people living below me till 2 weeks ago, and since then they have called the cops on me twice, and complained to me personally once. And this isn't late at night, its in the afternoon too. Both times the police came by, they said they couldn't hear any noise from outside my place, and they didn't think it was too loud, but they have to respond to complaints.
As you probally know, the VTF-2 is a downward firing sub. I'm honestly not playing music too loud, its just that low notes travel right through the floor. So my question is, can I possibly place the sub on something to prevent it from shooting directly into my neigbors apartment. I resting on the carpet floor now, but I do have the option of putting the sub on the brick hearth in front of the fireplace (which I never use). Will the brick deaden the soundwaves, or will it make their room rattle more? Also, would this affect the sound of the sub?
Thanks in advance guys

Billy Wang

Stunt Coordinator
It looks doubtful. Since sound travel by waves, unless you get the special foam material they use in a professional sound booth you're not going to block the sound wave with anything thin and simple. Subs are big trouble in apartments, I know from experience as well. In the end I just gave up and bought a house and blast the music as loud as I want.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Couple of things you could do. Invite them up sometime to watch a movie. Or go over you lease with a fine tooth comb and make sure there is nothing in it about noise, consult your landlord and if everything is A-okay tell them so.
Kevin

Bhagi Katbamna

Supporting Actor
You could also dismantle the Meth-amphetamine lab.
wink.gif

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, check the lease, and also, check with the police department what the acceptable levels are before it is considered disturbing the peace. Keep it below those levels. There is really nothing you can do to prevent the sound from traveling through the floor, regardless of getting a front firing or down firing sub. So, if you keep it to acceptable levels according to the lease and the police, then the neighbors just have to deal with it.

Mike Kao

Second Unit
I have an easy solution. Just trade your sub for my wimpy Boston Acoustics BA4800 sub... trust me, they will barely hear it. Problem solved!
wink.gif

J

John Morris

Reg is right!!! I'd probably call the cops on you too!
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I truly feel for you Andrew! Your type of environment is a death warrent for a HT lover! Thankfully, my neighbors don't give a ratsass how loud my system is, as long as it's during daylight hours, cutoff is 10pm for me, so i'm cool for now. My advice is to move, not the most practical advice I know, but one to be thought about.
Also, you know when people are moving and they always say something like "Oh, it's great, big lawn, low rent, and a very quiet nieghborhood too!"
"a very quiet nieghborhood too!", you don't want that! As I said, quiet is certain death to a person like yourself, you WANT noise, at least sometimes, that will give you a license to kill so to speak, it does for me.
------------------
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Keep in mind the law is not specific to time when it comes to noise. You can have your stereo playing at 3 in the afternoon, if your neighbors don't like it they can call the cops. The only time you will get in trouble is a: they decide they want to press charges, in which you will be cited and have to go to court, b: they decide to tell the apartment manager, and I am willing to bet there is something in your lease re: complaints from other neighbors. The police saying that it doesn't seem loud is irrealavent, as them saying they have to come out anyway. Trust me I deal with this type of stuff day in and day out!
Best solution, play your movies and music at low volumes and save up for a house!
Rhett

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Just curious, how loud do you listen/watch movies? I am assuming that you have a RS SPL meter on hand. If not, go get one....you would likely need it for proof in the near future.
Dave
[Edited last by DavidY on September 24, 2001 at 12:05 AM]

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Having started my HT infatuation while living in an apartment, I can sympathize with you and also your neighbors. HT systems are just not compatible in apartment settings and there isn't much you can do about it. Turn the sub off and that may be enough but I doubt it.
I usually kept up with the neighbors schedules so I knew when I could fire my HT up so it wasn't too bad. Then a new set of neighbors moved in with their own HT setup and they didn't give a rats*** when they fired up.... middle of the night etc.
You will probably not be able to win over your neighbors as they have already taken the steps of calling the police. You have one recourse and that is to move yourself. Your neighbors may even throw money your way to help!!!
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Zacha R

Stunt Coordinator
You could try something like an Aura Bass-shaker, until you're sure that the neighbours have moved out (attatched to a chair, of course - not to the floor).

James Q Jenkins

Stunt Coordinator
You're out of luck.
Apartments + Home Theater = Trouble.
HT is not a hobby that is compatible with apartment living, at least at medium to high volume levels.
Save up for a house. It's sad and blunt, but that's the way it is.
------------------
-JQJ

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I live in an apartment, sorta. It's a two story house, I live on the second floor and pay rent to the guy downstairs. His girlfriend is a royal pain, who complains about everything, but they never said anything about noise.
So, what I'm trying to say is, I've found a way to make home theater work in an apartment. I'm using B&W 602s for the main and a 500 for the sub. These are basically on the smaller end of things, which I bought because I took into account my living situation (and the money, always the money).
If you're gonna use huge monster speakers in an apartment, yeah, you're asking for trouble. But common sense and consideration can make all the difference.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Rhett - I have some questions about your statement. If the police drop by and can't hear anything, then what would the charge be? How can it be 'too much noise' when the police can't hear it? You could use them as witnesses for you, right?
And based on what you're saying, any renter could complain about noise, even if they didn't have an HT. If I were going to complain about the noise in my apartment, I'd see the manager first. This sounds like they did that and the manager told them to go fly a kite.
Andrew, I know this would suck but you might want to either 'tone down' or unplug your sub for a month and see if the complaints stop.
Glenn

Well, Im not leasing the place, its a condo, and I bought it, so they probally can't get me in trouble. Also, I do think the police are on my side on this one. They told me that they have to come out if there is a complaint, but I will never get a citation on the first visit, just a warning. They also said every day is a new day, so I could technically get a warning every day without a citation. The cops said that they would put on their log that they did not find loud music at my place, so hopefully I won't ever get a fine.
Honestly, I don't play the music loud. During the times that the cops came, I could still have a conversation at normal speaking levels- I even left the music on when the police came and we talked through it. I have a sound level meter- I should give it a check, but I know that its got to be under 85db. This isn't a quiet neighborhood anyway- its a block away from a university and the complex shares a wall with a bar!
Thanks for all the support guys

Tim Campbell

Agent
Andrew,
In that case I would say screw it and forget about them. I am sure your municipality has noise level ordinances. Keep everything below a certain decible and they can not say a thing. I would conitue your normal life

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Simplest answer is to talk to them. Find out what bothers them most, most likely the bass. That's what my neighbors complained about also. Most likely, you will have to make some adjustment to your sub level, but once in a while shouldn't bother them. Just as they have a right to practice whatever religion, eat whatever food, etc... you have the right to listen to your music. There is really nothing they can do about it. Even if I got fined, I would still listen to my music, because nobody will stop me from doing the things that I enjoy IN MY OWN HOME (even if it is an apartment
rolleyes.gif
).
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i agree with john. you just need to talk to them. since this is your permanent home, you have every right to enjoy your system. but, in the interest of keeping the peace, you'll need to try to accomodate your neighbors too.
just ask them what's up? what exactly bothers them? what can you do to reach a middle-ground? hopefully your neighbors are relatively sane people and won't go ballistic on you...if they do, then screw them and enjoy your system. hopefully they won't make absurd and unreasonable requests...if they do remind them that you're trying to reach an agreeable middle-ground.
if there's any problems, you can tell the authorities that you tried to be communicative and they were resistant. that'll be enough to end the battle.
someone else also mentioned inviting them up to hear your system. i like that idea too - it's a good way to (possibly) make a new friend who will understand what you're up to. just be smart about that - remember for now they're strangers...
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.
[Edited last by Ted Lee on September 24, 2001 at 11:09 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks