What's new

Neighbor's Dog (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
We have a neighbor with a Rottweiler. Now, this dog is gigantic, but because it's against local code, they keep him pinned up so almost no one sees him unless you go out really early in the morning or if they get gutsy in the afternoon.

Having a family member as a vet, I'm well aware not all Rottweilers are vicious, etc. However, this animal charges the gates everytime it's out with biting and barking while it jumps at our fences if we or the kids are out. The same is true of some of our other neighbors.

Neighbors have expressed discomfort with the animal, but so far, we haven't made a dent in the opinion of the owner. If the dog is retained inside, the City doesn't seem to do anything, although another neighbor has turned it in.

Yesterday, as another neighbor held a birthday party, the thing got loose and started barking, clawing at the fence between them, etc. It kept up such a ruckus that the kids went inside because they were unnerved (the kids were about 6/7, 1st graders)..

That neighbor has now openly suggested/informed the owner that if it happens again, the dog is dead. (suggestions of nice ways to spike food and leave it out, etc.)

I have a feeling this could break into something really unhappy between several neighbors as right now it's basically everyone vs. one. However, I can't hop on board with the "let's put metal shivs in a steak and toss it to him so it tears up his insides and he dies." Just doesn't sit too well with me either to kill another neighbor's dog that way (admission: in the past, I have shot a neighbor's dog, but only when it was literally in the middle of attacking a person, and that was years ago on a farm, not in the city)

I'm suggesting the neighbor go back to the city and re-report the owner. *shrug*

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Please, let's don't discuss the many ways of killing dogs. Talk about the situation constructively.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
It's usually the owners, not the dogs, that are the problem and that's what it appears to be in your situation. Dog owners just never seem to be "aware" of any potential problem and really get hostile in defense of their "pet".

I don't understand any ordinance that allows one to keep a known viscious pet regardless of WHERE the animal is housed.

I have a new neighbor who has 4 dogs. Although they are all inside (gross thought), they are let outside for some things (obvious)..... I have already been forced to talk with them about dog piles in my yard which will no longer be tolerated.

Regardless, some neighbors simply believe they have the right to keep viscious animals or believe their animals have the "right" to encroach on others.....

I hope your situation doesn't get worse, as in the obviously viscious dog getting out and getting someone hurt. It would seem the ordinance, if there really is one, would include animals that are outside ANY at all.....

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
One thing I loathe more than dogs is vigilantism. I mean, do you really think that this guys is gonna just have a good cry and go to bed after his dog is murdered?

--
H

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Exactly my point, which is why I oppose such an act. I was just pointing out that it has reached a frustration level where some neighbors have openly discussed it.

(as said above, this is not a thread about taking out a dog)

We've discussed it with the owner, who's basically attitude is "f-off" which doesn't help matters very much nor does it help calm the sentiment as above.. bah.

We found out today they are renters. So, we are thinking about sending a letter to the actual home owner.

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
This might work and won't cause any permanent damage to the dog. Get some pepper spray and every time the dog charges the fence let him have it. Some dogs are so bull-headed that it won't phase them but others get the message real quick.

Colton

Supporting Actor
Who owns the fence? If it were MY fence and the dog is chewing and clawing it - I would be pissed off and send them a bill of damages if it continues.

- Colton

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I probably handle more dogs in 1 day than most people do in a year. In all honesty, no breed of dog scares me more than a Rottweiler. I have been attacked IN MY OFFICE by at least 10 of them. For a while it got so bad that I actually banned all Rottweilers. Call me a pussy if you want: I'll show you the scars. 99% of these dogs are big, strong, and completely bone-headed. The other 1% are big, strong, and well-trained. But it's the 99% that will kill you if they get the chance.

My advice: get together as a group of concerned homeowners; hire an attorney (that pains me to say that) to draft a letter to the local DA , the owner of the dog, AND the actual owner of the HOUSE, saying that if anyone is hurt by this dog due to their inaction, your group will sue them so bad, that they will be living in cardboard boxes for the rest of their lives.

Chris

Senior HTF Member

It is my fence that gets most of the damage. It's a simple wire fence that was good in the past, but yeah, it's taking a bit of a beating. One of the neighbors to the other side of him (I'm facing his backyard) put up a large, 6' wood privacy fence. I've thought about doing the same thing, but dislike having to do that if I don't have to.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
I have a question: what exactly do you mean by against local code? It is illegal to have any dogs in that residence, or is this dog too big for the apartment?

I would try to talk to the guy again, best to get together all the pissed neighbors and go over there in a big group. No threats or insults, but it shows solidarity and is harder for him to ignore a group. Tell him it is a problem and he can either address it or you are all going to start contacting the city until action is taken.

If nothing changes, I would send out another round of letters to: city animal control, the owner of the house, and maybe slip one under the renter's door so he knows how serious you all are about this situation. Be sure to get as many signatures on there as you can and explain that you have approached the renter and he is unreceptive.

After that, get a lawyer as a last resort.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
In most cases you have be careful on what you say and how you say it when dealing with neighbors and their dogs. I think a 12 pack with a calm and cool conversation with said neighbor might do the trick.

Hello ( insert name here ) If you have a spare moment I would like to get together and talk about your dog. Lets see if we agree on something that is mutually beneficial.

Maybe help him with a new pen or make some suggestions. Mention the party and how all the kids were terrified at the party because of his dog. remember

DON'T YELL. BE CALM, LETS NOT GET OUT OF CONTROL HERE PEOPLE.

Sorry

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I do want to point out I'm not trying to take it out on the dog. I've had an uncle who was a vet for more then 30 years, and I've seen all sorts of animals (hell, we had monkeys for pets as a kid)

But the biggest problem with Rotweilers is the result of ownership; over the last ten-fifteen years, the goal in breeding Rotweilers has been to favor agressive traits in breeding, in order to get beefier, bulkier dogs. This is the result of owners intentionally breeding with the hopes of manifesting these traits. We can say "the dogs are good" (which is true in a large scale) but because so many are bred with this purpose, you're breeding in traits that in any other situation would not be given such a preference. As a result, you end up with a more dangerous animal because people have decided to breed them that way.

This isn't the dog's fault, he's just the end result of a breeding program. But it does mean that you get very territorial animals - far more so then just a few generations back, which are viewed by some cities as dangerous (here where I live, you cannot own them, supposedly).

Anyway, I just wanted to mention that. His neighbor on the other side is going to meet with him tonight and we'll go from there. We're hoping a nice peaceful "hey, this is not a good situation" will work and we can all be OK. :)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

If it's on the property line, and most fences are, it's owned by both sides.
Doesn't matter who paid for it.
At least, that's the way it works in Texas.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Without the dog having hurt anyone, if you want the law to get involved, than you need to show that the dog is so loud and menacing that he's hurting the property value in your neighborhood.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

I can't bring myself to watch that, Henry.

Pit bulls are powerful animals, and have been implicated in several attacks on people, including 1 poor woman here who lost her arm to a pack of 3 pitbulls last month. However, in my practice, I would rather treat pitbulls than Rottweilers. The reason: pitbulls will usually warn you by growling before attacking; Rottweilers will sit there, wagging their nubs, then take your head off. Sneaky bastards.

Mark Sherman

Supporting Actor
I cant believe all of the bad things said about Rotties. I had 2 of them growing up ( INGA and Bearna ) and they were without a doubt 2 of the kindest most gentle 135lb lap dogs in the world. Yes they were protective ( HELL ANY DOG IS) they would only show agression if someone was Harming me or my family.

I miss my Little puppies.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
[Bleeding Heart Rant>

Don't you sometimes wish people would have to take a class and get a permit before having pets or kids? I can't tell you how many basic misconceptions I see between people and their dogs, not to mention some dogs you see that are bordering on abuse.

Same with kids, when my 4 yr old kid has to deal with the 7 yr old bully while the parents sit looking on oblivious (gee, wonder how he got to be that way?), it really chaps my hide. And then they get upset when I have to (nicely) discipline their kid for them because they obviously don't give a ****.

We can't make people love their kids/pets, but I wish we did more to help them understand what they need to be happy (cause it's really so little and gives back so much.) These are the best parts of life, some folks don't know what they are missing.

[/Bleeding Heart Rant>

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

I agree that Rottweilers are very loyal to the family members; however, I disagree that they are intelligent enough to actually KNOW when someone was harming you or your family. Heck, it's hard even for the police to know for sure.

IMHO, in situations where many dogs would run away, most Rottweilers show aggression. And they are big enough to cause serious damage. This aggression was an admirable & desirable trait when guarding livestock against wolves and the Huns, but it has no place in my neighborhood.

As an example: One former Rottweiler patient was used as a guard dog at a boat store with a fenced in yard. The dog patrolled the yard at night, and was very good at it. He was also so difficult to handle that he had to be muzzled and anesthetized for even a Rabies vaccination. One day he dug under the fence and took off after someone who lived nearby. Whereupon, he was promptly sent to doggie heaven by a homeowner with a .357 Magnum.

If you choose to own a dog like this, you are taking a HUGE risk. If your dog killed a child, you would probably suffer a psychological breakdown, as well as possibly going to jail (people have been tried for MURDER for this, remember?) and definitely being sued into poverty.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Funny guard dog story:

A couple weekends ago, wife and I went into Boulder for dinner. Boulder is kind of a trendy but still reasonably small mountain town, very posh and somewhat 'granola'. While walking back to our car, we passed a corner shop hair salon with mostly glass walls. We also took note of their ingenious nighttime security system: There was a massive St. Bernard sitting right next to the glass doors watching people walk by. He must have been a male, truly a mountain of a dog. There was just something funny about a trendy, nuevo shop that releases this huge dog at night to discourage vandalism/theft (espeically since it is mostly windows.)

I wouldn't mess around with that place, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks