What's new

Neighbor Stories, good or bad, share them! Take 2! (1 Viewer)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Okay, guys, beat this. I promise that every word of what follows is true.

When I bought my first house I got a very small (even by Brit standards) two bedroom semi-detached (sorry, can't recall the US term for this - I mean where two houses share a common wall - from the street the two houses look like one house with two front doors).

My neighbours seemed a really nice couple. They moved in just after me, and were in their late forties/early fifties. They had a lot of money and the only reason they were living in the house was because they'd just moved to the area and had bought somewhere as a pied a terre whilst a new and much bigger house was being built.

Okay, now I've set the scene. Pretty soon after moving in, I was drifting off to sleep one night when I heard a loud female orgasmic moan through the dividing wall followed by what I realised was the lady of the house moaning 'oh my God,you can put it there!'. There then followed a good half hour of very loud moans, shrieks, and a very explicit running commentary. This behaviour then repeated itself on a regular basis.

Okay, so I had neighbours with a sex life, big deal. But then they started having friends over. And not just for drinks ...

I was invited to the first party they held but (truthfully) pleaded a prior engagement. I got back from my evening out about two in the morning somewhat the worse for drink. As I was unlocking my door, I noticed that on my neighbour's windowsill there was a vibrator buzzing away (I knew it was buzzing because it was slowly 'walking' across the windowsill). I got in my house and through the partition wall could hear quite clearly what was going on. It didn't matter which room I went in, it was basically the same sound (at one point I thought I heard a dog barking but let's not go there, okay?).

Luckily the parties weren't all that often, but smaller gatherings were pretty frequent.

So far, so bizarre. Then their (grown up) son and daughter for one reason or another moved into the house. Before you speculate - no, nothing like that happened (though interestingly, mum and dad started to go away to see 'friends' a great deal). However, when I went away on vacation once I left the key with the neighbours. The mum and dad were trustworthy. However, the son was not. He copied the key and a few weeks later when he was running low on drugs money, burgled the house.

The police knew he'd done it, I knew he'd done it, parents knew he'd done it (I could hear the rows through the wall), but they could never pin it on him conclusively.

Luckily, pretty soon after that I moved out.

However, that wasn't all I said goodbye to. The next house in the street (which - long story - I could see into from the rear of my house) was a large Victorian house converted into apartments. In one of which was a very attractive blonde girl in her late teens/early twenties who never *ever* shut her curtains. All very agreeable - until this became common knowledge. My house backed on to a pub car park and come closing time, guys were climbing over my fence and trampling across my garden to get a good view of the blonde. And that wasn't the only problem she caused. One time, in the wee small hours I was awoken by the sound of someone revving up a car engine outside my window. Looking out, there was a guy in an open top sports car revving up his engine - in time to a blonde head bobbing up and down on his lap. This must have been something of a fetish for her, because this trick was repeated several times with different guys.

Incidentally, said blonde is now quite a well known actress in the UK (and no, I'm not telling you her name).

And one final thing - at the end of the street was a brothel catering for the S&M trade. On more than one occasion evenings were enlivened by a scantily-clad woman chasing a customer down the street.

Since then I've not had neighbours quite that bad (one lot had a habit of dressing up as part of their love life and then in another house we overlooked a house owned by swingers, but otherwise it's been quite pleasant).

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
When I was living in an apartment, pondering whether to put in an offer on what is now my house, my neighbors helped make the decision for me. While I was sitting at the table next to the common wall, they turned the stereo to 11, and started playing "Achy Breaky Heart" over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Yup, that house looks pretty darn good, I thought. No such neighbors in the house, thank heavens.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
We bought brand spanking new house in a new subdivision about a year and a half ago. All the neighbors seem really nice and everyone is friendly.

However, we're annoyed by the neighbors on both sides of us. Not really any horror storyish, but annoying. Once side is a rental (and, man, there's nothing worse than spending over $300k on a brand new home and finding the house next door is going to be rented out) and is already on it's second family. While both have been nice enough, no one is bothering to take care of the house. The owner has done no landscaping so it's just a house on a lot, and the tennants aren't bothing to water the lawn so it's mostly just dead grass and weeds. At least it gets mowed every once in a while.

Meanwhile on the other side of us is a family who never comes out of their house. NEVER. (I mean, let your kid play on the lawn or ride a trike on the driveway or something) And like the rental, they don't take care of their lawn either. They've mowed it twice so far this year. And they never water it either. So I have my nice lawn, flower beds, outdoor lighting, etc sitting between two overgrown weed patches.

And, really, if you paid $300k for a brand new house, where you picked the color of the walls, carpeting, door knobs, handrails, etc wouldn't you want to take some pride in the place and make it look nice? Everyone else around us is at least making attempts.

The only light is that we figure some people will start moving out once they realize they can't afford it or whatnot (already there are a number of homes for sale around here). So we're hoping in five years or so we'll get a better picture of what our real neighbors will be like. Unfortunately the same can't be said about the rental place.

-paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks