What's new

Neighbor Stories, good or bad, share them! Take 2! (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Any neighbors from hell, or neighbors so good you wish you could clone them? Tell the stories here! There are some fun ones I see while watching the court shows on a slow afternoon, heh..

If someone hijacks this one, I'll do something nasty ;)..

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Every single team I have backed during the World Cup has been eliminated, life fucking sucks :thumbsdown:.

--
H

RichardK

Second Unit

You're such a bad neighbor for rooting for the wrong team! BTW, please root for France today.

On the subject at hand. I have a neighbor who lives to my left who does something that annoys the hell out of me. He smokes and smoking in general irks the shi* out of me. Not only does he smoke, he tosses his cigarette butts over his fence in to my yard! WTF! It is something that is annoying so I dont say anything directly to him about it. All I do is toss the little fu**ers back over in to his yard! This hasnt stopped him from doing it yet, but I think he gets the picture. Arrggghhh!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free.

mylan

Screenwriter
What is this, everyone pick on Neil day? We have an older couple who moved in next door last year. We are in our forties with no children and they are in their early 60's. They invited us to dinner back in Febuary and I hit it off with him but my wife did not really think too highly of her, especially when it appeared she was making fun of my wife's southern accent in a very subtle way. Well, we said we'd have them over too but at the time, our work schedules were very frantic and I explained that when things calmed down we still wanted to get together. Now, it seems every time we invite them over, they cannot come. We have an in-ground pool and I have invited him, who seems interested, but later she calls and says that they have something else to do.
We're not seriously in need of friends but we do want to be neighborly but it seems we have alienated her for some reason. At this point I could care less, the invitation has been extended. If they don't want to come over for a swim and drinks, it is their loss.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
What is this, everyone pick on Neil day?>>>

nope, we have that reserved for Friday :).
on the other boards, it usually falls on a tuesday :).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL

Seriously though, I own a condo and there are only 4 units in each 'building'. I have the end, so I only have to deal with one neighbor (who is a nice guy), and each one of the other neighbors is great too. We're all single and live alone, so it's often pretty quiet. We're also all between 25 and 40, so not a lot of major parties or early sleepers.

Overall I'm happy with everyone. The great thing with my complex is, it's brand new (only 2 years old), so everyone moved in around the same time and it seems like most of the owners are first time owners. When everyone moved in, we all had that "Hey, Howdy Neighbor! You're moving in too!" kind of attitude. It was nice because we were all in the same boat (i.e. moving in).

With that in mind, everyone seems to be quiet respectful of everyone else (so far). And since no one has been there that long, there isn't a sense of the "Territorial" neighbor....you know, the guy who's lived there for YEARS and stares out his window at the "Noobs" with that "What are THEY doing!" glare. :D

mylan

Screenwriter
Neil, you certainly have a sense of humor with it anyway! That condo mentality sounds nice, Mark. We live in a subdivision of homes from the mid 200K to high 300K and everyone there is moving up or buying their last homes for retirement so the mentality can be very different. There seems be alot of the "I'm too good for the neighborhood" thing going on or the "I had better friends at the last house" or even the " my (blank) is better than your.." thing.
What we really needed was a couple our own age who liked to have a good time and hang out but what we got was a retired guy and his wife who works at home and apparantly has a bug up her ass.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay

That sounds a lot like freshman college dorm life!

I have nice neighbors, I've met 4 of the 7 homeowners around me but I've seen the others and they seem to be nice in anycase. Other than that, they have the usual nice "modern" homes and I live in my log cabin with wood stove!

Jay

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
When we moved into our house (our first) 6 years ago, no one excpet the old lady across the street came over and welcomed us. I was like, "Is this what neighbors do"? I would see the people to our right, working out in their yard and they wouldn't say hi or anything. For like 4 years!!!!

Then my wife saw their daughter while getting the mail, and she offered to babysit for us. She turned out great! I asked her why her folks never talked or waved and she was like, "I'll ask".
So to make a long story short... they are really great people we hang out with them alot. I sold my old HT stuff to him and he is now hooked. The guy helps me with home stuff and we hit Best Buy and trade movies and stuff. They turned out to be very cool neighbors. I asked him why it took so long for us to be friends and he just said, "you never asked"...

This summer I bought a pole saw attachment for my Ryobi weed trimmer and we helped each other take down limbs in our yards. He got a giant ass dumpster and so on this one saturday all the other people in our culdesac were coming over asking if they could throw stuff in the dumpster and if we could help them with their tree limbs. So I met the other really nice neighbor, a neighbor that is a cheap ass mooch and a total poser, the neighbor who is wierd and well...weird. Me and the cool neighbor had fun playing the "others" with like, "Well our rate is $100 an hour... and you'll need to fill out some paperwork..", etc..." They would have this panic look on their face and we would just be crackin' up laughing.
Later I said to him, "Isn't it neat that my pole saw can bring the neighborhood together...?"

mylan

Screenwriter
Sounds like good neighbors, Chris. The thing is that we did ask. Did we take too long to reciprocate the dinner invite? I have taken the time to spray his two crepe myrtles for Japanese Beetles when i'm doing mine, its no big deal, i'm just using the rest of the spray but I am about to stop being cordial. If I have to work that hard at being a neighbor then I can find better things to do. I have wanted to go up to him and ask what was up but that would be forbidden according to my wife.
The one thing is they know I hate the guy that built their house because he faced it so that they have a clear view of our backyard pool and we cannot engage in "activities" since they moved in. I'm not angry at them, they just bought it but I guess I have run that fact into the ground with them. I suppose I am the weird neighbor in this situation.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Actually, it's funny. In my complex there are 36 units. When you pull into the complex, half are on the right and half are on the left. When they first started selling the units, they sold the ones on the left, first. Now, since they were brand new, they started selling them as 'low-income' homes. Once they sold their allotment of 'low income' homes, they opened the right side and they went for full price.

My income was too high for the first batch, so I ended up with one of the full priced ones on the right.

Now that the complex is full, it's VERY funny to see the differences between the two sides. The left hand side is all families and older folks, while the right hand side is all younger/single people.

The left hand side has all mini-vans, SUV's, etc. while the right hand side has BMW's, motorcycles, Mustangs, new cars, etc.

The left hand sides parking lot is FULL (because of the families) while the right hand sides parking lot is pretty empty (because the single people pull their cars in the garage and don't have another car to leave outside.

:D

I kind of like the way things worked out because it feels like I'm surrounded by people who are similar to my current "Single/Just starting out" lifestyle.

Colton

Supporting Actor
My wife and I moved into our new home two years ago. Quiet neighborhood with no real complaints. The house behind us belonged to this older couple (late 40s) who just had their first child. He drives around on a beautiful Harley and my wife said, "I wish I could get a ride" and I went and talked with him. He was real cool. Very soft spoken and nothing what I expected. Told him that my wife would love a ride on his motorcycle and he was happy to do it. He was a gentleman about it too.

However, the house next to us is always being rented out. First it was a few college kids (polite, but had some loud parties - also, he cut my lawn for $20). They moved out and now we have new neighbors - with small kids. Found a toy ball in my backyard yesterday. Hope things don't go bad.

- Colton

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I have nice neighbors, I've met 4 of the 7 homeowners around me but I've seen the others and they seem to be nice in anycase. Other than they have the usual modern nice "modern" houses and I live in my log cabin with wood stove!>>>

Are you sure you don't live in wyckoff? There's a loggish looking cabin here, too :).

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Neil, you certainly have a sense of humor with it anyway! >>

I didn't with the other thread.. :). But do a search for that and you'll see, heh. With this one, I KNEW someone was going to make a joke out of it, hence the smiley :).

As I stated in the other, one guy is a retired cop to our left, the other is a semi retired partier/italian decended guy. He is the one with the house for sale. Anyone want to buy a shore house? It's definetly a knock down job....enough space for a nice layout and mini home theater room :). Not sure if I should give the price out or not :)....

The third guy, I don't know. We talked to his over 60 father alot. He was the type that watched kids on the front 'lawn', hoping they didn't squash his bushes, but over all a nice guy and gave us stuff from his garden now and then. In twenty years, I don't think we once saw his son there. Now the son is there on occasion, and I think I've only seen him talk to the guys on our left. very weird.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I'm curious about peoples opinions on neighbors when you own a condo and a home. It seems like since you're right on top of each other (in a condo) that you're a little more tempted to be nicer to your neighbor. You're almost forced into seeing and talking to them more so than a home. Everytime you do something loud, you always have the neighbors considerations in the back of your mind (well, at least you SHOULD! ;)).

With a house, you might not have as much interactions with your neigbors because of the distance between your homes (i.e. with a condo, your door is practically right next to your neighbors).

With a house, it's also more territorial. It's YOUR area/YOUR yard and you may be a little more "Back off!" when it comes to neighbors.

I mean, with my condo, the outside is maintained by the assciation, so I don't have to deal with the neighbors damaging my bushes (or whatever), but I guess on the other hand, sharing a wall could make an even more difficult situation with an unruly neighbor.

I guess, in the end, a bad neighbor is a bad neighbor no matter how close you live to them.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The apartment upstairs from mine is a townhouse, and when I moved in a bunch of frat-boy types lived there. I didn't complain because that meant I didn't have to worry about playing my sound too loud, but they often had ridiculously loud parties that lasted the entire night that woke me up, and some of them would hang out on the balcony and throw beer bottles and stuff on my back porch and I think someone peed over it a couple times too.
Funny thing happened though- as of January 1st last year everyone moved out, and it's been empty ever since. I can't tell if nobody wants to move in there or if so much damage was caused that it's taking a year and a half to get it fixed.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Neighbors??? Hmmm, I guess I'll have to check. I'm kind of new to the area as I only moved in 20 years ago, but maybe there are some.

Everyone in my hood is cordial, but not much in the fraternization department. Mostly older people over 40 (yeh, thanks Colton).

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks