What's new

Neighbor selling 11 month old Hitachi 65SWX20B. What are your thoughts on TV ? (1 Viewer)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Neighbors are divorcing and liquidation everything.

They offered me their Hitachi 65SWX20B for $1000. I had no intentions to upgrade my 9-year-old Sony 53" but I think this to good of a deal to pass up ?

I typically research for a looooooooong time to make a purchase and because a new TV wasn’t on the agenda, I’m extremely uneducated and experienced with this brand/model.

I did a search on this forum but found very limited info and long-term feedback.

Any and all experience would be appreciated.

TIA

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
I calibrated one of these, and they do indeed have great potential. The picture was excellent after calibration, but don't trust the magic focus (auto convergence) button unless you or a calibrator re-initialize it. Before calibration, the set looks slightly above average, with good image depth. It has a very tweakable service menu, and therefore can be transformed into an excellent performer.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
No. You dont want that TV. Bad idea.. bad.

(by the way - what is your Neighbors number?) :)

I believe that is an UltraVision unit that came out very well on several recent head-to-head comparisons in several of the magazines. It's very tweekable and has lots of good features.

If I had to buy a RPTV today, it would be either that Hitachi or the current-model "F" series. These things run about $2400 new so you are getting a bargin.

IMHO - you should get it (or give me their address and number)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Wow, $1000 for that TV is basically giving it away...seriously! What are you doing reading this forum, get over to your neighbour and buy it before someone else does! :D

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator
Took a look at the unit last night.

I realized the price was good but I was concerned the effect her 4 kids and 2 dogs had on the TV. She was clever and had a protective sheet put on the screen so it’s perfect. There’s a small scrap on the bottom right corner just below the screen and a pen size hole in the mesh panel that covers the speakers. Other than that the TV is in near perfect condition
The first Hitachi she brought home had to be returned so another concern was reliability. When she handed me all the paperwork and receipt I find out she also bought the 5 year warranty.

DONE DEAL!!!!!

Ps. Although the blemishes will only be visible to me, I still want to fix them. I was going to contact Hitachi directly for a replacement mesh panel and to see if they have/sell touch up paint. Is there an easier place to order those items ? Or do you have some ideas on how to fix them myself.

Now to figure out how to get this 319 lb box up 2 flights of stairs
:frowning:

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Well you can always try "That $1,000 does include delivery right" :D Maybe you'll luck out especially if they have movers coming ;)

Kevin*Harley

Stunt Coordinator

I like the way you think! Unfortunately because she is selling "everything" they won't need them. I felt like I was walking through a dept. store with everything 75% off. I left with her 2 year old fridge for my garage ($175) and a 4 month old Nikon CoolPix 5700 ($250).
My Bday came early this year.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks