neighbor question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob TT, Oct 30, 2002.

1. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

I have this huge tree that is dumping leaves all over my yard and my neighbors. Is it my responsibility to rake my leaves out of his yard?

2. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

Does he enjoy the shade in the summer?

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

You're not responsible, but it would be a nice gesture.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have never had a neighbor clean up leaves in my yard from their trees, I do not consider this an issue. When the wind blows, I get many leaves from neighbor's trees in my yard, and the neighbors get some leaves from my trees.

The neighbor behind me does pick up the apples that fall in our yard from their apple tree, though. It's a nice gesture, but they fall near the property line and it is very obvious where the fruit came from.

If the leaves are near your property line and you can access them easily, I'm sure your neighbor would appreciate the gesture. If there are a lot of trees in the neighborhood, though, it becomes quite difficult to figure out where all the leaves come from.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

It would be a nice Gesture for you to rake the leaves for your neighbor just make sure you don't do it every time or the neighbor might think it is your Duty to rake them. Officially it isn't your responsibility.

KyleS

6. MickeS

MickeS Producer

If you can rake the leaves on his yard easily, I say do it (I would). If it means you'll have to climb a fence and fight off his two dogs, don't.

7. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Quick response: no, it is not your responsibility.
    But, as folks have said above it would be a nice gesture if it isn't too much trouble. Especially if he/she refuses to clean them up, then you would end up with a stank clump of leaves on the property line come next spring [​IMG]
    Also, if your tree overhangs your neighbor's property, they have the right to trim the branches that are over the property line. I know this because I need to trim my neighbor's bush that is constantly trying to spill over the fence and overtake the side area of my house (it's alright, he knows it's out of control and approves.)

8. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

It's leaves DUDE !!

Brent

9. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

You should go over and rake only the leaves that came from your tree. Any leaves from his tree or trees from other yards should be left. Any disputed leaves, leaves that he claims are yours but you have an issue with, should be placed to the side until an indipendent arbitrator can make a determination. Normal practice is to have a member of an accredited university's botony department settle the dispute. The arbitrators ruling is binding and un-appealable.
    Serve lemonade and cookies during the hearing.
    Please ingnore all of the above (never know these days, people have lost thier sence of humor and I might be getting angry posts from members who have tried the aribtrator)

10. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

I am clearly aware that they are just leaves, but the fact that I am concerned about the way my house looks and the way the neighbors feel about me should make you understand. I know that when some of my other neighbors refuse to cut their grass, it drives me crazy. And I'm not talking about a couple of leaves either, the tree I have has a ton of leaves. I cant even see my grass anymore and its not close to being done dropping them.

11. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Yeah, I would rake those up then.
    Don't listen to Tommy, man that guy is a humorless prick [​IMG]

12. Janna S

Janna S Second Unit

Why don't you talk with the neighbor? What does he want? What does he think? Are you strangers?

13. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

If you rake your neighbors yard you should just walk around with DOORMAT written across your forehead. Seriously, does the state come over and rake your yard when trees from the sidewalk land in your yard?

14. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Get a blower and just blow the leaves back into the neighbor's yard. Do not rake them. That's manual labor!

15. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Matches and/or blow torch always works good on dry leaves too!
    [​IMG]
    Jay

16. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

While it's a nice gesture, keep in mind he might actually get a little peeved at you for raking leaves on his property. Kind of like an invasion of space if you will. My neighbor insists on mowing about 5 feet of my property every time. Don't know if he doesn't know where the property line is, is just being nice, or thinks he actually owns it. I haven't said anything to him, as he doesn't speak english very well, and I'm really a keep to myself kind of neighbor anyway. Not a big deal, but it kind of urks me none the less. As long as he doesn't try to put a fence up or plant something it's all good I suppose. Anyway, if you are friendly with him I'd ask first. Though it's really not your responsibility to take care of them, IMHO.

-Dave

17. Dave Gorman

Dave Gorman Supporting Actor