What's new

Needy Newbie -- Pls Help (1 Viewer)

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Hello HomeTheaterForum!

Need some advice. I am looking for a pair of quality bookshelf style speakers primarily for music (but eventually build a HT system around them) for around $400 for the pair.

I posted in the avsforum but all the talk about the swan diva line turned me off. I am sure those speakers are great but the looks won't work for me and the wife, they are just too busy. some of the members there went as far as to tell me that I am crazy for not liking the looks... jeez!

I need something more conventional looking, bordering on classic looking.

My dilemma is this, the only nearby retailer is Circuit City and everything I heard there is garbage! I drove for about 45 minutes to a best buy and still garbage. The only "real" audio dealers are quite a distance away and after calling a few, they would let me audition in my home but would charge a restocking fee if I wished to return them.

I can't accept that as I know that the dealer would just repack the speakers and sell for full retail at a later date.

I need some quality speakers and I need them soon. I prefer a speaker that is revealing with great imaging. Deep bass is not a priority at this time and after all I have read, i could always add a sub.

Your expert advice is appreciated.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Second the B&W suggestion. 300 or 600 series should fit right in the busget. Good for music and HT.

Good Luck,

--Steve

george king

Supporting Actor
If you are looking for musically oriented HT theater speakers, I would strongly suggest listening to the new Kef Q1 speaker. All these speakers are imaging champs because of the coaxial design, and they have a midrange to die for. However, they do not have much in the way of useable bass.
They can be bought online at the following link.
http://www.sounddistributors.com/pro...e=Kef+Speakers
I have never bought from them, but their ratings at www.avsurvey.com are good.
Hope this helps.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Paradigm studio 20
Paradigm Studio 20's are a little over your budget of $400. You could maybe find some used off ebay for $400, but new ones are more like $500. They are very good speakers however, but just a little more expensive than $400.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Paradigm Studio 20's in black ash if you can afford them. Otherwise Paradigm Mini Monitors will run about $325.

RandyKudor

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the great suggestions!

The HomeTheaterDirect speakers look interesting to me. I really like the idea of auditioning something in my home with little risk.

Does anyone have a comprehensive list of other quality factory direct speaker manufacturers I can investigate?

Thanks!

Kevin Cagle

Agent
About the guy above that suggested the Diamond Anniversary Wharfdales. Please don't even think about it...
I'm NOT criticizing the speaker. Its a decent speaker. I own a pair, but the site he linked you to charges $350 for the Diamond Anniversary 7.2's. I paid $85 w/shipping from Ubid for the exact same speaker, though I had a rebate coupon for $20 off 1st purchase from Ubid.
These speakers ARE the best you can get for ~$100, but there is no way that the compare to the Paradigms I just replaced them with. I paid $360 w/tax for a pair of Monitor 3's and they may lack a tiny bit in the mids but there is ZERO comparison to the Wharfdales. The Paradigms easily blow them away.
The guy that posted the iagamerica link is either selling for them or doesn't know any better. Though the anniversaries are no longer in stock on Amazon they are identical to the regular 7.2's save the veneer and they are clearance for $93 Amazon Wharfdale 7.2
If no one has suggested them yet, The Paradigm MiniMonitors have very good bang for the buck though they lack the low-end punch of the Monitor 3's that I ended up buying. Definitely demo them first. I was blown away by the Minimonitors the first time I ever heard them. If you do go Paradigm you should be able to get the dealer to knock at least 15% off the MSRP.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks