Needing to find a good laserdisc review site...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Glover, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    I've been looking all over and some sites like the Digital eyes no longer have the reviews. Widescreen review just gives the score rating.

I'm wanting some reviews with comparisons with the dvd. Thanks.

2. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

I think it would be interesting, but I'm not sure of the actual use.

I (used to) have over 150 laserdiscs. Now I have about 75, mostly things I'm still waiting for on DVD or things that just don't have value cuz the DVD is available and who wants the LD?

What I have noticed is that even when a DVD transfer uses the same master (non anamorphic) as the LD...the DVD is STILL almost always superior (no chroma noise, better clarity/resolution, and no comb-filter artifacts).

If the DVD is 2.0 DD, then the laserdisc PCM sounds better. of the DVD is 5.1, I can enjoy the audio and pretend that I don't mind the loss that compressed DD brings.

So what's my point?

My point is that if there *was* a site that compared DVD to LD...9 times out of 10 it would say the same thing...and since we already know what that is...what would we gain?

If a DVD is a new 16x9 transfer with a good DTS or 5.1 DD soundtrack then there's no need to even ask the question to be sure!!!

What drives me nuts is when I hear people say "I found the criterion laserdisc for $5 and it has extras not on the new 16x9 5.1 DVD...should I get the LD or go with the DVD???"

If it's that big a deal to get the extras they should get both!

-dave

4. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    Thanks Jim. I'll take a look.

5. Michael St. Clair

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

All very true.
    I guess the reason I came down hard is because once you get used to seeing how good DVD can look on a big screen...it's really hard to watch a laserdisc...and I have a Pioneer Elite CLD 99. In all fairness 4x3 full-frame material renders pretty well, but anything widescreen that must be magnified on a 16x9 display...not so hot.
    But like you say there are exceptions and there are times when other issues come into play.
    Maybe the site we're really looking for is the "Laserdiscs that are better than their DVD counterparts" website. Let's just skip right to that 1 in 10 to save time [​IMG]

7. Michael St. Clair

8. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Michael,

if you're looking for a reasonable deal on a *good* LD player let me know...there's guy near where I live who's located in northern VA who repairs LD players (has fixed mine) and always has several good-refurbished used players. He's a great guy, fair, and honors his repair work.

-dave

9. Michael St. Clair

David,

I'm actually really happy with my players. I do need to clean the brakes on my 703, but everything else is in really great shape.

The LX-900 is the basis for some high-end transports and is considered by some to have picture quality approaching (not matching) the Elite 97, but can't touch the 3D comb filter on your 99. But I use the 3D comb filter in my HDTV! And the 703/704 is also right up there close to the better Elite players.

But if I need any repairs that I can't get locally I'll definitely ask you for his contact info.

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Michael St. Clair

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

13. Mattias_ka

Mattias_ka Supporting Actor

14. Mattias_ka

Tim Glover, I good site that review DVD against LD sometimes is www.dvdscan.com

15. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

16. Mattias_ka

17. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Granted your LD player may provide a superior picture to my Pioneer CLD 99. But even at it's zenith, LD still has some inherent compromises.

Let's leave 16x9 anamorphic encoding out of the picture...so we're comparing the same D1 image that might have been transcribed to both LD and DVD.

What type of display are you using?

The reason I ask is this: with laserdisc, no matter how faithful it may be to the master, you still have a composite video medium that needs a comb-filter. Also, DVD can be displayed in component/progressive-form.

On an NTSC/PAL limited display, I'd might agree with you that a GOOD LD player may produce a great image in comparison to DVD (especially given the absence of MPEG artifacts). But When DVD can be displayed in component progressive-scan on a given display, then DVD takes a big step forward.

What type of display are you using to compare the two?

I should add then when a DVD transfer *does* happen to be 16x9 anamorphic, the laserdisc image has almost no chance to compare. I have a number of older films with transfers that are utterly film-like: West Side Story, The Lion in Winter, Guess Who's coming to Dinner. These DVD titles reproduce a stunningly film-like image on my progressive-scan 16x9 display. The 16x9 WS titles, while still showing print damage and other age-related anamolies of the film, never the less produce an image that looks like film (I don't really mind some mild print damage. What I *do* mind is EE and MPEG artifacting). No 4x3 lbxed LD can compare. 4x3 to 4x3 DVD to LD is a closer race. 4x3 B&W LD to 4x3 B&W DVD is even closer...though most of my B&W 4x3 DVDs (Rebecca and Now Voyager) still better the best LDs.

18. Mattias_ka

19. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

20. Mattias_ka