Needing HD Setup help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael De Costa, May 10, 2001.

1. Michael De Costa

Michael De Costa Stunt Coordinator

Looking for help deciding on which Sat network to sign up with. I am interested in obtaining feedback from customers of each and any possible promotions for new customers you may be aware of. One final question is that I am purchasing a Toshiba 56H80 and was wondering on what equipment you would recommend to get HD reception. I would need to also have another receiver but that one does not need to be HD. Will I need to Sats for this set up? Please help, I am very confused and new to the whole Home Theater realm.-Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Bob Dycus

Bob Dycus Extra

Get a Dish HD6000 with the optional 8VSB tuner cartridge. You will need a Dish 500 dish for all the SDTV channels, and a Dish 300 dish for the HDTV channels.

3. Randy Boecker

Michael, I just switched from DirecTV to Dish Network and it was the best move I ever made. The picture quality is much better than DirecTV. BTW, I have a Toshiba TW56x81 and HD looks beautiful on this thing!
    In order to get HD, you will need two dishes: a Dish 500 20" twin LNB dish and a standard 18" dish. The Dish 500 picks up core programming from two satellites, and the 18" picks up the HD and international programming. You'll need both if you want HD. I also got the Dish 6000 receiver and the 8VSB OTA tuner, which allows me to pick up local digital broadcasts from my local stations (PBS runs a great HDTV demo!)
    I bought my equipment from Dish Depot and highly recommend them. They have great prices, great service, and they'll help you every step of the way and answer questions. You can visit them on the web at www.dishdepot.com You can extra receivers from them as well.
    Best of luck!! Once you watch HDTV, you'll start looking through the TV Guide more often and browsing your dvd collection less!! It's unbelievable!

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

of interest to me, and possibly to you, is the fact that every DirecTV hd box, no matter what manufacturer, has a circuit built in that allows DirecTV to remotely shut off the HD output of the box. Dish network has no such circuit built into their box. this fact alone certainly makes up my mind.
    for more info on this "feature" and its possible use by DirecTV, read Gary Merson's informative article in issue #36 (May/June 2001) of The Perfect Vision.

5. JerryLA

JerryLA Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    I've had Dish Network for 5 or 6 years now. I am just now upgrading to HD. I have never really seen a sample of Direct TV but in my opinion you can't go wrong with DISH. Any problems I have ever had, which have been few, have always been handled in a professional and timely manner. I have new equipment ordered including the Dish6000 and hope to have it all up and running in the next couple of weeks. If Dish HD is even half as good as everyone says.. I'll be quite pleased. Everyone I've talked to that has Direct TV tells me the same thing,the picture on DISH is the best.
    One other thing... the people that are in this forum are the tops. I've only been online a short period of time and have found everyone very friendly, eager to help, and most of all very, very knowledgable of all sorts of HD & HT topics. You are definitely in the right place.
    Good luck!
    Jerry
    ------------------

6. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    To all,
    So there are 2 satellite dishes? Dam thats not good [​IMG]
    Now, which way do they point? For the regular and for HD?
    Thank you
    ------------------
    "This is a tasty burger."