Need your thoughts on these component component cables.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank Lee, May 4, 2005.

1. Frank Lee

Frank Lee Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered a projector. Now I am looking for the hardware to get it up and running. I am on a fairly tight budget. I am looking for some cheap, but good (always a tough one) component cables to hook up the projector. I need about 35'. It is possible I could get by with 25' or 30' but I won't know for sure until the projector is mounted. I just found these...

http://www.cablewholesale.com/catalo...videocable.htm

What are your thoughts on the 35 footers. They are cheap. Any other suggestions are welcome.

2. John S

John S Producer

They sound really good for the money...

I love the line on page:
    "Component video cables is a newer way to connect video device together,typically used with DVD Players, HDTV set-top converters, and even some game systems."

Component Video is actually a very old standard... [​IMG]

I would assume the warranty is good on them?
    I have had excellent luck with even cheaper GE video cables available at Circuit City. These look markedly better. I'll probably have to give em a shot myself, if your expeirence is positive with them.

3. Frank Lee

LOL, I noticed that line also.

How long are your GE cables? How cheap were they? The closest circuit city is a 2 hour drive from here.

I was expecting to get blasted with negative comments on these, so having the first post be positive was kind of nice.

Any one else have anything to say about them?

4. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

I don't have any comments to offer, but I'm in the same situation (just received my projector) and am in need of some quality cables at a good price so I'm interested as well.

I'm looking to get a 10m / 30' set of component cables and a 10m / 30' DVI or HDMI cable (not sure yet).

5. Frank Lee

I gave the place a call not long after I posted. I talked to a tech guy. He seemed to know his stuff, although I'll admit it doesn't take much to impress me with cable knowledge. Unfortunatly they are out of stock of the 35' length that I need until the 28th of this month. He suggested using a VGA to component cable. I wasn't sure if that would work for the 4805. I'll have to look into it.

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I bought some cables from our sponsor Blue Jeans and couldn't be more pleased. I ordered Late Thursday and had them Saturday afternoon(early evening).

MUCH BETTER Than the GE, Walmart, Monster, AR offerings I have tried.

7. John S

John S Producer

Cost of the Blue Jean stuff????

The GE cables at CC are only a little cheaper cost wise than the initial posted site in this thread.

I only really buy them because of convienience. Right around the corner and seem to always have stock. I do think it funny how CC hides them though. All the monster stuff is displayed in serveral places in the store. The GE cables are in a back, way back corner in a section you would not expect to find them in.

I have a ton of people using them, including myself with zero issues. With that said, these do look better, and seem to spec out better for sure.

8. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Why not make your own. My local shop recomended me to run 3 rg-6 lines and use the conectors of my choice! another Viable solution....

9. John S

John S Producer

I do agree that is way best in my opinion...

RG6 makes for maybe the best long component cables period.
    But still easier just to order them or go buy them.

But, you make a very valid point about using RG6 stuff.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

10 meters ain't all that long though.

11. Frank Lee

I was just at my local shop last night. The guy there also suggested I make my own. We figured up the price and it was about $36. So for the same money I can get pre-made cables. What do you guys think about the vga connector to 3-rca component cables? I can get one of those from cablewholesale in a 35' length for about $35.

Here's a link...would it work?
    http://www.cablewholesale.com/catalo...videocable.htm

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

like everyone says, go for canare/belden cables from a seller like bluejeans or similar.

13. Frank Lee

I looked into those, but if I remember correctly there is a large difference in price. That is fairly important to me. I just don't want to sacrifice video quality for it.

14. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

didn't read the whole thread in depth, but my stance is always the same:

get decent Radio Shack or AR type cables, don't pay too much. Monster is usually overpriced for the same quality.

For high-end applications, use pro-grade canare/belden, usually minimally more expensive. No need to spend more than that for cabling.

15. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

If you are running the cables exposed, go ahead and try the cheaper cables. You can always replace them later when funds become available.

But if you are putting these in your walls - Buy real HD rated cables. Your labor to install these cables will swamp the cost of the wires.

At least - run a fish-roap with the cheap cables so it will be easier to pull other wires later.

16. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

Frank,

Thanks for the link to CableWholesale.com. I needed a 35' component video cable a decided to try them out. Their web-site showed "out of stock" for the 35' cable and to call for availability. When I called, they "upgraded" me to the 50' cable for the same price. It ended up costing me $38.75 for the cable (after a 10% discount - Code: CAT2245), sales tax, and shipping. I should have the cable in hand by Monday at the latest and I'll update with my opinion (I'm going to compare the picture quality on my Infocus SP5000 using this cable compared to using a 6' Monster Component Cable).

17. Frank Lee

Damn, that's a good deal. I thought about going the 50' route since they were out of the 35', but I didn't want all that extra cable behind my equipment. I ended up getting some cable at one of my local A/V dealers for $50. Not as good of a price, but it was there for me to inspect. I also picked up a 35' S-video cable for $20. I look forward to seeing how you cable compares to the "other" brand

18. Thomas*F

Thomas*F Auditioning

I've had good luck with cables from Lindy. Since I'm a newbie, I can't post their url.
    go to lindy dot com slash us
    or
    audiovideo dot lindy dot com

Good luck,
    Thos