What's new

Need your suggestions for a sub with my setup... (1 Viewer)

Jeff_H

Auditioning
Hey guys...I think I'm in the market for a new sub since mine dosent seem to be working anymore...I am looking to spend $500 and the new sub will be replacing my Velodyne CT100. My system specs are:

Speakers - Energy Take 5
Reciever - Sony STR-V333ES
TV - Sony Wega 32" XBR400
DVD Player - Sony DVP CX850D DVD changer
Other - XBOX, PS2, Gamecube

My room is rectangular shaped with the Sub being placed in the front left corner of it. I will try to do some asci art for the room below...Anyways, what should I look into?

~~~~~~~~~~~.....~~~I
IX*.........WEXGA...........XI
I**...............................I
I....................................I
I..................................CI
I..LA.............................OI
I..ZY.............................UI
...................................CI
...................................HI
.....................................I
I....................................I
IX...........COUCH...........XI
I~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I

X = SPEAKERS
* = SUB
I & ~ = WALLS
. = OPEN SPACE

DAMN, THAT WAS HARD TO GET THIS CLOSE...

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Adire Rava, Hsu VTF2. If possible spend the extra $50 for a SVS 25-31PCi.

And my personal choice would be to build your own. You might prefer the ones I built for my parents and roommate over mine. Although if you don't mind the height, I heartily recommend a Tempest based sub. All easily doable for well under $500 if you have or have access to the tools.

Check my sig for information about mine and there are links there to other resources with other examples and options.

MikeCooper

Grip
Out of curiousity, what do you dislike about the Velodyne?

I think you should consider the CHT series, the CHT-12 would probably do you fine, but if you can, spend the extra money and get the CHT-15, both are amazing subs.

Jeff_H

Auditioning
I dont dislike them, I just want to know if there is something better for around the same price. The one thing I didnt care for was the hiss I got from the sub during quiet scenes.

Peter Jessee

Stunt Coordinator
Adire Rava, Hsu VTF2. If possible spend the extra $50 for a SVS 25-31PCi.
Very good advice - all of these are excellent and easily exceed the $600-800 subs at the big box stores from Velodyne, Klipsch, etc. I owned and loved a Rava, and listened frequently to my cousin's VTF-2, so I have personal experience with the quality of these two.

On the other hand, you can easily build an awesome sub for $300-500 if you have the desire. You can duplicate the Rava by putting a Titanic 12" MkII or Adire 12" Shiva driver in a MCM/ATS 2.2 cu ft box with a Parts Express 300-794 250 watt amplifier, total cost of about $360 plus shipping. You can save $75-100 by building your own box. Blow this away with a PE DVC 15" in a Titanic 3 cu ft box and the same amp for about $450, again saving $100 if you build your own box.

These projects are quite simple and sound great! Consider this if you're at all handy - check out the DIY forum for more ideas.

Jeff_H

Auditioning
Ok, I think Im going to go with the SVS 25-31PCi. My next question is what should I have it tuned to? My room is aprox. 15' x 40' with carpeting & 8' celing. I'd say I would use it for 60% videogames, 10% DVD, & 20% TV.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Jeff_H,

That's a pretty big room, so you'll want all the SPL you can get out of any sub you purchase, so I would probably stick with the stock tuning. Of course, your best advice is going to come from the great guys at SVS.

-Robb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks