What's new

NEED YOUR OPINIONS-Upgrade from Rotel 1066 to Ref 50 (1 Viewer)

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
Just curious if you guys would make this move??? Trade in a 1066 for a new B&K Ref 50 for $900. I will be going to my dealer on Monday for a full evaluation of the Ref 50, but I thought I get everyones opinion.
Current set up: Rotel 1095/1066, B&W CDM 9NT, # B&W LCR6s2, SVS 25-31 PC+, Rotel 1072, Sony DVD/SACD Changer

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Joe:

Interesting as I am considering the same move. I got a 1066 NIB for $1000 and bought it because it seemed too good to pass up. Now that I see the price drop on the ref 50, I'm tempted to sell the Rotel and buy the B&K. The questions I would ask you (and myself):

What (if anything) are you unhappy with in the 1066?

What do you think the ref 50 will give you that you don't have now with the 1066?

Are you better off waiting for the "next" generation of pre/pros (DVI switching, room correction, i-link, etc.) and just sitting tight now with the 1066?

Interesting situation...

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I personally think that it is more of a lateral (but slightly upwards) move. I'd personally wait for something that had DPL IIx. I would think the 1066 is "good enough" until then. Anyone know if B&K will offer will get a no/low cost upgrade to DPL IIx?

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
With all of the capabilities of the Ref. 50, would a person need DPIIx? Especially if they are only using 5.1 speakers.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Right and to that end you don't need PLIIx with the rotel either since it already has its own XS mode that does the same thing

Joe Mollura

Stunt Coordinator
John,

Did you have a chance to hear the Ref 50 yet? I'm hoping to get better 2 channel and 5.1 sound from the Ref 50. I will be testing the Ref 50 on Monday so I will have a better idea then. The Ref 50 has a more flexible crossover setup, balanced inputs,and I'm pretty sure it allows you to have different speakers settings for different inputs. The Ref 50 also has a room equalization feature, I personally cannot comment on how well it works but many owners seem to think it's a great feature.

Kevin,

DPLIIx is not a big deal for me, 7.1 is nowhere in my near future. I do not believe that B&K is planning to offer a PLIIX upgrade anytime soon.

P.S. It's not even offically winter yet and Long Island all ready havd between 14-18inches of snow! (It's actually great Home Theater Weather ;))

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
I had a brief audition of the Ref 50 before the price drop, but didn't spend much time on it due to $$$. Now, I will check it out more thoroughly...

DanaA

Screenwriter
I agree with Kevin in that, when I auditioned the B&K, it didn't impress me enough over the Rotel sonically to make me think it was worth the extra cost. Nonetheless, I wasn't comparing it side-by-side at home, so my impression could be misleading.

Kevin, as a side note: I noticed your link to your HT and as soon as I clicked it, I said "wow". As my wife was sitting next to me, I commented, "Well, Kevin has a nicer wife than I do. Look at his gear." She responded, "He must be an engineer to afford all that stuff." I clicked on the profile and lo and behold...:D

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Believe me, it's taken a long time to get there. A lot of it was bought used, and I got some great deals along the way too. (My favorite: the DAT deck's list was $1400, got it used for $430. Had less than 50 hrs on it.)

And, ... every time I treat myself to something new, my wife gets some earrings, a bracelet, etc, out of it too. :) Works out in the end!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks