Need your help: I'm finishing my H/T Room's ceiling!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Smith, Jan 8, 2001.

1. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

I'm finally ready to finish my H/T Room's ceiling. I need recommendations on what type of tiles to purchase. Should I do a suspended ceiling with some sort of acoustic tiles? I don't have a huge budget for this, also I plan on selling the house in ~two years. Home Hardware type recommendations would be preferable.
    Thanks in advance guys for your help and guidance [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Wizard's First Rule:
    People Are Stupid: They believe what they want to believe because they want it to be true, or because they are afraid it might be true! Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander
    [​IMG]

2. Andres Munoz

Andres Munoz Cinematographer

Though I'm no expert in this by no means, I would recommend a drop ceiling with acoustical tiles.
    I just bought my house 3 months ago and the basement came with a drop ceiling. It helps very much for running cables and hiding them from view.
    I run all my speaker cabling up there and an S-video cable from the back of the room where the components are, to the front of the room where the TV sits.
    If I didn't have a drop ceiling, the cables would have gone under the carpet, which is a real pain in the ass to do.
    ------------------
    Andres

3. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Does anyone know what type of acoustical tiles a should buy from a Home Hardware type store. I know that there are many types available. Do I want to absorb sound? Reflect it? Absorb only high frequencies? Lows? Can you absorb too much?
    As you can see I have no idea. Does anyone have recommendations on the tiles?
    Thanks [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Wizard's First Rule:
    People Are Stupid: They believe what they want to believe because they want it to be true, or because they are afraid it might be true! Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander
    [​IMG]

4. Steve U

Steve U Extra

Any thoughts on this, along with possibly painting the tiles a very dark color to "disappear" when the lights go down? Has anyone ever done little pinholes or LEDs to simulate stars in the ceiling? Just some ideas I was thinking about while staring at my blank basement wall...

5. Robert M

Robert M Agent

When I finished my dedicated theater my main concern was sound containment, not room acoustics. With a great deal of research I located a sound absorption material called Sonopan ( available at lumber companies) it is 3/4" thick, and I applied it to all joists and beams. 8" of insulation wool was first applied, the the Sonopan, resilient channel@ 12" on center then two layers of 1/2" drywall. I then applied a textured paint to the ceiling, and painted very dark blue. I am very happy with the results as only the lowest frequencies seem to escape the room. To carry the cables in the walls and ceiling I used a conduit using central vac piping. There is very little echo in the room, which has a deep pile carpet on the floor and thick velvet curtains around the screen and 48" up the wall past the front speakers.
    I had a consultant on the job with me, and he indicated that the ceiling should be slightly reflective as THX speakers are very good at eliminating vertical dispersion.
    Hope my experience is a help.

6. MichelF

MichelF Extra

I would suggest Armstrong ceiling. Have a look at: http://www.armstrong.com/
    I recently installed an Armstrong Parafon Fjord ceiling in my HT room. Very nice looking and excellent acoustic characteristics (Armstrong has a lot of different type of ceiling and their brochure give all the details about all the possible characteristics: acoustics, resistance to fire, to moisture, etc). The Parafon Fjord is one of the best in terms of acoustic.
    MichelF

7. Dan Smith

Dan Smith Agent

Thanks guys, I think I'll go for the simple route since I'm gonna sell the house in a few years. I'm gonna check out the Armstrong products.
    P.S.: Sounds like you go a great H/T Robert. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]