Need you Help can't decide what to get SONY or Proscan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Gardner, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner Auditioning

Please help. I have been going crazy over this. I don't know what to get Sony KP-57XBR10W or Proscan PS65000.
    Thank you ahead for your input.

2. Luciano Pires

Mark,
    I received my Proscan 65000 on Tuesday. The picture quality is incredible. I was looking into the Sony 57 as well when I came across the Proscan. They both had the same program on. The Proscan was actually clearer.
    The Sony was $3399. and the Proscan was $3599.
    When I joined this forum and I mentioned my room size 17'X12', members recommended a 65" RPTV.
    I have a 35" TV that I had for 6 years and I always wanted a bigger screen.
    I ordered my 65" Proscan and it came with free installation of a HD dual LMB dish to go with it, since it has a built in Satellite receiver.
    There's also the size difference 65" vs 57". Do you have the room for a 65"?. I have no problem with viewing distance.
    I only had mine for a few days. So far I love it.
    Hope this helps and good luck on your choice.
    LP
    --------------------------
    Equipment List
    65” Proscan HDTV
    Denon AVR3802 – Receiver
    Denon DVD2800 – DVD player
    Paradigm Monitor 7’s – Mains
    Paradigm Monitor CC370 – Center
    Paradigm ADP170’s – Surrounds
    Polk PSW300 – Sub
    ------------------

3. Mark Gardner

Mark Gardner Auditioning

Luciano
    Thank you for the info. I think the 65" will fit great in my room. I’m also leaning toward Proscan since it got already HDTV and looks I think better then Sony. The only concern I have is quality of the job they do !
    Thanks
    Mark

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I don't know how you can do this, but somehow you need to check on ProScan's reliability. My impression is, they break alot.
    Personal experience:
    RCA (Proscan) 25" TV. Stupid thing died about 1.5 years after I bought it. Talked to a mom-and-pop TV repair shop over the phone. They knew what the problem was when I described it. When I brought the set in, there were at least 5 other RCA sets there with the same problem. Blown EEPROM chip or something.
    I complained to RCA, and they reimbursed me the money to have it fixed.
    I immediately got rid of it for a 27" Sony Trinitron. Not only did the Sony picture blow away the RCA (even though it's harder for a larger set to look as good), but 6 years later, no problems.
    I also have heard/read somewhere just recently, that RCA was going to change the name of the Proscan line to something new, ostensibly to leave the "poor reliability reputation" behind. (WSR I think.)
    ------------------

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I'm moving this to the TV forum - I think you'll get better answers there.
    ------------------
    Philip Hamm
    AIM: PhilBiker