What's new

Need Xbox game recommendations (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I'm beginning to get off my RtCW addiction, so it's time to start looking at what other games exist for this platform :) I'm also starting to get frustrated with Morrowind. And I discovered that RPGs aren't really my thing (this was the first one I played for any length of time).

What's been released since Wolfenstein that's worth looking at? KOTOR is an obvious one, and I'll definitely try that (yup, I'm probably the only Xbox owner who hasn't played that game yet). How about SOF and Brute Force? I remember some talk about these games before their release dates - did they live up to expectations? On the racing front I think I missed MotoGP2 and Midtown Madness, but that's OK, I'm not *that* much into racing. Not interested in sports games at all. How's GR:IT?

Anything else? How about some older games that I might have missed? Here's what I've played/finished/almost-finished so far, roughly in order of how well I remember them:

Halo
Splinter Cell
Ghost Recon
Buffy
Shenmue 2 (still playing this one)
MOH:FL
Max Payne
Silent Hill 2

What else... I think I tried Dead to Rights and some gulf war (squad based fighting) game and wasn't too impressed, I tried some Star Wars game too where you fly around and do stuff, the game got buggy and forgot the objectives after a while so I gave up.

Is there a good flight sim on the Xbox?

Thanks in advance.

Saurav

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
Too bad you're not too keen on RPG's, because Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic is awesome!

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Other than what you've got listed, I'd recommend

Panzer Dragoon- best rail shooter ever

JSRF- dirt cheap, has awesome art design and smooth gameplay

Enclave- good 3rd person hack and slash with high difficulty(has cheat codes if you get frustrated)

Gunvalkyrie- another semi-hard 3rd person action game with unique controls

Rayman 3- probably the only good platformer on the xbox, although Rayman 2 DC is a lot better

Hitman 2- doesn't have the graphics or production value of splinter cell(no 480p either), but I found it a lot more entertaining. The ways to beat missions are a lot less linear and you can even opt to go guns blazing on a low difficulty(although I think playing that way ruins the game).

If you want a racing game, Midtown has the best online, Project Gotham has the best 1P, and Rallisport has the best offroad and graphics.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I played Panzer Dragoon till the last boss (in easy mode, of course), forgot about that. Rayman 3 - totally forgot about that, that's something I must try out. I loved Rayman 2 on the DC. Thanks for the otehr recommendations.

Chris, I do plan to try KOTOR. How long does it take to "get into" that game? I'll probably start with a weekend rental, but will that be too short of a duration to get a feel for the game?

NickC

Second Unit
Dead or Alive 3
Aggressive Inline
Rallisport Challenge
Hitman 2
Midtown Madness 3 or Project Gotham 2

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
You're not the only one who hasn't played KOTOR yet. I've had it since launch day and have yet to really sit down and play it. I've watched my friend play it for a few hours and would like to do so myself. However, I am forcing myself to finish a few games that I've been working on for awhile before I start it (Metroid Prime- 30% done, the new Zelda- 50% done, Eternal Darkness- 85% done, and Bounty Hunter- 80% done). What's really getting to me is that there's a level towards the end of Bounty Hunter that I can't seem to finish. I like the game, however, I wish I was playing KOTOR instead. I just feel guilty about spending a significant amount of money on games and not finishing them. Plus, I'd like to see the remaining FMV's in Bounty Hunter as well- they are very well done.

As far as other games go:
Soldier of Fortune II: not nearly as good as other shooters available.

Brute Force: ok, but not as good as it was made out to be. If you get it, you should expect an average third person shooter and not the "next Halo" as I expected.

Panzer Dragoon: best shooter I've ever played

Jet Set Radio Future: best $10.00 I've ever spent on a game- loved every minute of it (as did my sound system!)

Project Gotham Racing: fantastic racing game and very cheap

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance: one of the best games I've played in recent years (action RPG, not a standard RPG).

Hope this helps!

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Funny, I looked at James' list and thought all of those titles sucked...

not dis'n, just state'n...;)

RENT!!!!!!!

Others are the new GRIT, MC or MM3 (rent both first!), ummm... SCII has good reviews...

I'm waiting for the new Links to come out to see if it's anything good. Playing on line seems a little weird but it's at least a helluva lot better than playing AI

:)

JamesH

Supporting Actor
It's pretty ridiculous to dismiss those games as "sucking". Hitman, Panzer Dragoon, and JSRF have consistently recieved high critical acclaim and are well loved by many gamers. There is absolutely no dispute about their quality.

Enclave has audio and visuals that are still killer against new Xbox games, and a good game design to match. It got unfairly hammered by reviewers for its difficulty, but it seems that the sentiment on message boards is that it's pretty good and I happen to like it a lot as well.

Rayman 3 is not mind-blowing, but it's still good, and by far the best Xbox platformer. Can you not differentiate between a perfect 10 and "sucking"?

Gunvalkyrie is a love-it/hate-it game that provides an experience unlike any other, with most people on the hate-it side upset by how badly the game handed their asses to them. Considering that I've seen it for

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
It's pretty ridiculous to dismiss those games as "sucking". Hitman, Panzer Dragoon, and JSRF have consistently recieved high critical acclaim and are well loved by many gamers. There is absolutely no dispute about their quality.
Is this some kind of challenge???

James... just cuz I thought your list of games didn't appeal to me, doesn't mean that to generally everyone, the games suck...

...but to me they do. Freedom of speech is hardly ridiculous. Nor was my opinion.

I'm not going to put you to the test of the "critically acclaimed" statement, cuz even if you did provide examples, I would say...

"Ghandi the movie was critically acclaimed too... I thought that movie sucked." :)

And the point there is if I think they suck, others might as well. So rather than lay down $120 on 6 used games that you like but others don't like, it makes more sense to shell out $30 (or less if you package or borrow) to try the games.

FYI, taken from Gamerankings.com in order of readership voting for XBOX platform games only...

# 19 Panzer 8.4
# 42 Hitman 8.2
# 71 JSRF 7.9
# 100 Rayman3 7.7 (Godzilla was rated higher)
# 183 Gunvalkyrie 7.2
# 188 Enclave 7.2

Average Rank of suggested titles:

Now seriously... without degenerating this further, and in my defense, it kinda sorta maybe couldbe appears that others don't exactly list the above 6 titles as their top 6 MUST HAVE titles, after RTCW, Halo, Morrowind, and KOTOR (which were listed by the author of this thread).

There is a dispute regarding their quality... in comparison to other's tastes and alternatives available.

/sermon:D

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Is this some kind of challenge???

James... just cuz I thought your list of games didn't appeal to me, doesn't mean that to generally everyone, the games suck...

...but to me they do. Freedom of speech is hardly ridiculous. Nor was my opinion.

I'm not going to put you to the test of the "critically acclaimed" statement, cuz even if you did provide examples, I would say...

"Ghandi the movie was critically acclaimed too... I thought that movie sucked."

And the point there is if I think they suck, others might as well. So rather than lay down $120 on 6 used games that you like but others don't like, it makes more sense to shell out $30 (or less if you package or borrow) to try the games.

FYI, taken from Gamerankings.com in order of readership voting for XBOX platform games only...

# 19 Panzer 8.4
# 42 Hitman 8.2
# 71 JSRF 7.9
# 100 Rayman3 7.7 (Godzilla was rated higher)
# 183 Gunvalkyrie 7.2
# 188 Enclave 7.2

Average Rank of suggested titles:

Now seriously... without degenerating this further, and in my defense, it kinda sorta maybe couldbe appears that others don't exactly list the above 6 titles as their top 6 MUST HAVE titles, after RTCW, Halo, Morrowind, and KOTOR (which were listed by the author of this thread).

There is a dispute regarding their quality... in comparison to other's tastes and alternatives available.

/sermon
Somebody takes the time to post titles he genuinely likes that he feels another player might appreciate, and your comment is, they suck. How infomative, and then we have the boring litany of actually posting gamerankings reader review scores, I mean, are you effin' kidding me? Who the hell uses that as a basis for evaluating titles?

James actually stated why he liked some of those titles, you on the other hand, well, let's just say, I wouldn't be suprised if you hadn't played any of them.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
James actually stated why he liked some of those titles, you on the other hand, well, let's just say, I wouldn't be suprised if you hadn't played any of them.
Surprised if I have then?:wink:

Why I don't like a game? I have to post that as well? How about this... on some the controls (to me) are crazy, some the storyline is (to me) just stupid, on some (to me) they are fine if you were 8 years old and didn't have an alternative, and on all (to me) they aren't fun to play.

Hope this wasn't too boring?

Saurav... I wouldn't buy any of James titles without first trying them out. You will either love those titles or hate them... There's enough titles on XBOX now that you have to carefully weigh where you're going to spend your money, and I'm trying to make sure you have the best ammunition to make those choices. You might fall all over the choices presented, but I'm saying, you might not, and there's others that might (probably) be better choices.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
For chrisakes, guys. Take it up on a PM. Let's agree to recommend games we like in this thread as Saurav asked.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jay. While I appreciate everyone's inputs in this thread, this is certainly getting a bit childish.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Jay, PM is a great tool for personal messages but how is it to work in this case?

The thread isn't just for Suarav's benefit. Other's read the thread and might want to see there are differing points of view on what may or may not be a good game.

This all could be avoided if people didn't take issue with others disagreeing with their choices.

Saurav and everyone else is no further ahead if everyone lists their faves and no one offers up additional comment or critique.

Sorry if my portion of the debate was childish Suarav... I won't post again on this thread...

...no matter what anyone else recommends.:D :D :D

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Maybe if instead of saying that it sucked, you could say you didn't like them, not that 'they sucked'. That's crass. Or you could have not said anything.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Funny, I looked at James' list and thought all of those titles sucked...

Oh, I'm sorry, Steve, I must have misread your post, I mistakenly thought calling someone out by name and stating that all their choices for recommended games sucked was an insult to that person. My bad. :D

JayV

Supporting Actor
Saurav, GRIT might be a nice change of pace if you're coming off months of RTCW and it's frequently priced at $30. I know it's the same gameplay as the original (which you played), but the new maps do make it fresh, IMO.

I don't know of any flight sims except for the arcadey one that came out around launch. Didn't care for it, but YMMV.

-j

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks