Need wood ideas for Tempest

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Tsutsui, May 1, 2002.

1. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

My hopes for a maple or birch enclosure might be at an end...
    After getting a quote on a sheet of a quality maple laminated mdf, it was $80 a sheet. Since I'd need 2 sheets + a regular MDF sheet I decided not to make my box out of factory laminated MDF sheets. The cost was just too high. The 2nd sheet of maple would just be for a 14"x14" square top and base, (though the base can be made of regular MDF).
    I have decided to make the box from regular 3/4" mdf and paint it flat black to match my speakers, computer, and stands. It will cost $40 total for the wood since I already have the paint.
    I'm open to any other suggestions for wood or paint since I'll start building this friday and sunday. I would like the budget to be under $100 for wood and paint/finish. My friend said veneers cost a lot and I'd be better off paying the $160 for maple and using the extra for building a center channel stand and small a/v rack.
    Well here is the link to my box design with a few added pics.

2. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

Hey Chris why not try using Laminate?? I used it with great success as have others. check out my pics on my page. Feel free to ask any questions.

BTW, I was going to do what you were gonna do with the veneer, but it was to expensive for me as well.

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I talked with my friend today and we are going to use maple laminated mdf. He said to use factory laminated MDF as it turns out better and is easy to use.

I will buy one sheet of 3/4" maple laminate for $80, then buy a $20 sheet of MDF for brace, top and bottom.

We'll make the legs tomorrow, they will be shaped similar to the box itself. I have a few ideas for the top of the box as well.

One is to use brushed aluminum laminate to make a pyramid to make the enclosure an obelisk. Another was just to use aluminum for the top, or find a maple scrap. As for the bottom MDF, I'll probably just paint it.

I'll see how much it costs for a thin sheet of laminate though, the price of it might change my mind. Once I decide I can post pics of the build process and specs this weekend.

4. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

My 4x8 sheet of Wild Cherry Formica Laminate (General Grade) cost me $72 canadian, but I got it for free from some business I did. so it's fairly cheap stuff.

5. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Could also do the top with regular MDF and black lacquer. Lots of work but the results can be very impressive...

I really like the mix of wood and black lacquer. If I ever decide to build some DIY speakers I'll do either: BL fronts with wood enclosures or BL enclosures with wood fronts.

6. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

Can you use black laquer on plain MDF? I have some speakers that I built and would love to laquer them, but I didn't know you could laquer on plain MDF. Where do you get black laquer, how much does it cost, and what kind of work am I looking at? I am an artist and a perfectionist so I am sure I could do it, but I just want to know some more details about it. Thanks for the help.

Ches

7. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Ches,

You just need to use primer first, then spray cans of black lacquer (just make sure it says it on the can). Should be able to find it at any hardware/automotive store. You'll want to finish sand between coats and then add a clear coat and more finish sanding/waxing. LOTS of work, but you'll end up with that "piano black" finish.

I think someone on the forum did this with the endcaps on his sonosub. Maybe they'll offer up more tips.

Good luck...Mike