Need WindowsXP patches, but only have dial-up

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Timon Russo, Jul 8, 2004.

1. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

On one of my PCs, the windowsupdate.com scan shows I need 54 megs of critical patches. Is there any way I can request a CD-ROM of these fixes? How do people with dial-up get this stuff?

2. James St

James St Supporting Actor

3. Timon Russo

Timon Russo Stunt Coordinator

Thanks man.

4. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

From the site:

There was another thread where someone posted a link where you could order a CD that contained updates through February 2004. Why is it now only updated through Oct. 2003?

I have a related question: Is there a way to backup the updates that you have already downloaded? (I have no idea where these updates are stored once they are downloaded.)

5. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

It's an err. Microsoft has told all partners that they are updating their discs every quarter from now on, that can be sent out. Many MS Partners listed this as a "must" so there you go. They are supposedly updating at the same time MSDN quarterlies and action pack updates are shipped.

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

The most important ones you need right now are MS04-011 (KB835732) and MS04-012 (KB828741). I would get those two on while you're waiting for the CD.

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

There's also a freeware program online called AutoPatcher XP. This will put on all updates since SP1. So if you have a friend with broadband he/she could download this for you and put it on a CD.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

btw we've had notifcation from Microsoft that they will be releasing a further SEVEN security patches this coming week. No news yet on what they affect or operating systems but at least one of them is classed as critical.

Deep joy.

9. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Service Pack 2 should be out soon..
    I have installed a beta/release candidate version at work.. It took care of every single windows update with one patch.. at least up to the time it was released..

your best bet is to find a friend with a fast connection.. or see if you can gain access to a fast connection through other means like work.. and then download a service pack and/or patches to a cd-rom.

10. JohanD

JohanD Stunt Coordinator

Or if you don't mind leaving it on at night... when you go to sleep.. just let the updates run... they SHOULD be done when you wake up.. [​IMG]