What's new

Need Wifi Extender (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Agreed but unnecessary since I am getting around 300Mbps wifi downstairs.

Also true that I’m paying for 1Gbps speed but not utilizing all that bandwidth by being completely wireless. 100Mbps here is $85/mo and 1Gbps is only $10 more. For me, the extra $10 is worth having 10 times as much extra bandwidth.

I can currently get gigabit speed at the gateway if I connect my MacBook Pro to it with an Ethernet cable, however, I usually only use my MacBook Pro at the dining room table so that’s not practical. I don’t run a NAS or file server so moving bits between nodes at gigabit speeds isn’t necessary. If I wanted to invest in new gear to take advantage of wifi 6 speeds I could, but what I have still works brilliantly (and is honestly overkill already) so I don’t see the need to layout more money to upgrade to something that I very likely wouldn’t notice a difference in speed except when I run a speed test or when it only takes 5 seconds to download a 900MB iOS update instead of the normal 15-20 seconds it takes me now. :laugh:

Interesting that it's only $10/month diff for you between 100Mbps and 1Gbps service. Here in (an oddly somewhat tech backwards part of) NYC, I'm getting 400M service (that's really ~480Mbps in practice) for $50/month as new Spectrum customer (after my very recent move) -- would probably be $80-90/month after a couple years. 1Gbps would've been ~$110/month, so probably not much new customer discount there I guess -- if my needs justify it in a couple years, guess I *might* bump my service up from 400M to 1G if it's <=$20/month diff, but not too likely I'm guessing.

So yeah, in your case, makes perfect sense. In my case, I better be getting most of that 1Gbps if I'm gonna pay over 2x as much for it over 400M service... :P

I do plan to set up a NAS (again) probably once I'm more settled in this new space... and my new ASUS router should likely do well enough for that -- actually debating if I should upgrade from my old, entry level NAS soon-ish now that I've moved up to shooting (and modestly editing) high bitrate 4K video (though it's mainly just part of a hobby-of-sorts)...

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Mesh tends to get a bad rap but in reality it’s a perfectly viable consumer-grade solution. In a perfect world, my home would be 100% wired Ethernet but that’s not the case and mesh works just fine.
For a while now I've felt a separate networking thread might be a good idea so I created one and started it off with my response to above quote.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Crap. No way to possibly hack it now. :cool:

I can't provide specific instructions as the manual for your Gateway doesn't go into detail. This is by design as ISP's would rather you let their device handle the heavy lifting but the user interface likely does have settings that will allow you to disable these features. Generally speaking you'll need to disable WiFi and DHCP on the Motorola.
I’ve found where to disable DHCP. Found the spot to enable Bridge mode. Does Bridge mode disable wifi?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What disables wifi, DHCP?

No, there should probably be a (prominent) setting to simply (and specifically) disable wifi although I suppose it's possible Motorola simply didn't bother to provide that (in obvious enough way anyway) for this model...

DHCP is just for auto dynamic (vs static/manual/fixed) allocation of IPs w/in the local network.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
What disables wifi, DHCP?

Maybe try this since Motorola may well use the same UI across many such modem+routers:

_Man_

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just ordered the Eero mesh 3 pack. Do I need a switch? How do I hook it up to my system after referencing the above diagram?

Is this the specific item you ordered -- not necessarily from Target, but the model?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You don't necessarily need wifi-6, but it'd probably be good to go w/ tri-band units, especially if you don't plan to run wires between the units -- they'll cost more, but if you really need mesh and want good, reliable performance, tri-band will likely be important.

I would go for wifi-6 myself (and actually, probably avoid typical mesh solutions), but that's because I want performance that's (much) more than adequate for the average user...

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
My eero came today. I already had the switch and all the cabling I needed. So I hooked it up. It would have gone smoothly except an eero tech said I could turn on bridge mode before setting up the system. Big mistake. I had to get xfinity to reset the modem. Then I had to hard-wire connect the moto to my mac and disable bridge mode. After that the setup went smoothly.

When I got to the spot where I name the network, I called tech support again. I thought eero would setup two networks. Nope, only one and it manages which connection you get based on what it determines is best for you.

I now have three networks going, the new eero and the two originals, for the two speeds. This had an advantage in that I don’t need to rush and setup all my various devices.

I walk around the house and there are no dead spots. None. I get at least two bars everywhere. I walked out to my back yard and walked out to the back fence. I’m lousy at estimating distance but it has to be more than 100’ and there’s the back wall. At the fence I still had 2 bars.

I’m very pleased.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
No, I got this one:

I didn’t see a need for wifi 6

That's probably not recommendable unless you're sure you'll run a "wired backhaul" between the units (and that it works right/properly). You should probably go for this at least, if not the $500 version w/ all tri-band units, if you want an easier, more reliably good setup:

Actually, personally, I wouldn't even want any Eero solutions... since it's Amazon's baby. Also no to Google Nest for similar reason. And I'm not exactly the biggest privacy geek (not by a longshot) either, LOL...

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
My eero came today. I already had the switch and all the cabling I needed. So I hooked it up. It would have gone smoothly except an eero tech said I could turn on bridge mode before setting up the system. Big mistake. I had to get xfinity to reset the modem. Then I had to hard-wire connect the moto to my mac and disable bridge mode. After that the setup went smoothly.

When I got to the spot where I name the network, I called tech support again. I thought eero would setup two networks. Nope, only one and it manages which connection you get based on what it determines is best for you.

I now have three networks going, the new eero and the two originals, for the two speeds. This had an advantage in that I don’t need to rush and setup all my various devices.

I walk around the house and there are no dead spots. None. I get at least two bars everywhere. I walked out to my back yard and walked out to the back fence. I’m lousy at estimating distance but it has to be more than 100’ and there’s the back wall. At the fence I still had 2 bars.

I’m very pleased.

Wait. Are you gonna leave all the old networks in place alongside this eero mesh?

I suppose that may be fine for internet access, but what about local access between stuff in your home? Could be problematic if you wanna print something (to a networked printer) from a mobile/portable device/laptop for instance. What about casting to whatever networked display or streaming audio from whatever? And do you do whatever local backups over your network?

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Wait. Are you gonna leave all the old networks in place alongside this eero mesh?

I suppose that may be fine for internet access, but what about local access between stuff in your home? Could be problematic if you wanna print something (to a networked printer) from a mobile/portable device/laptop for instance. What about casting to whatever networked display or streaming audio from whatever? And do you do whatever local backups over your network?

_Man_
Keeping is temporary. It allows me to change all the miscellaneous devices.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That's probably not recommendable unless you're sure you'll run a "wired backhaul" between the units (and that it works right/properly). You should probably go for this at least, if not the $500 version w/ all tri-band units, if you want an easier, more reliably good setup:
It’s working wirelessly fine right now. I not going to run wired. I don’t have the $$ for the $500 version.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
It’s working wirelessly fine right now. I not going to run wired. I don’t have the $$ for the $500 version.

Make sure you take the old networks down (that you intended) and then test drive the mesh thoroughly enough w/in your returnable period.

_Man_

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
6 might be a bonus, it doesn't sound like you have enough itmes on wireless to fully benefit. My main reason for asking was the big price drop today and I wasn't sure if you'd have read Todd's post in the old thread
I read it somewhere and called amazon. After much whimpering the very nice csr got me a $50 gift card for my account. Thank you for mentioning it.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
It might be easier to set the Eero in Bridge mode instead of fighting with the cable modem/router.

In the Eero app, Go to Settings -> Network Settings and then change DHCP & NAT to Bridge.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks