Need Video Capture Device that works in XP

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Martin Fontaine, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

For many years I was using the ATI TV Tuner card with various ATI Video cards... The combinasions were:

- 3D Pro-Turbo (PCI) w/ ISA TV Tuner.
    - [email protected] (PCI) w/ ISA and PCI TV Tuner
    - Xpert 128 (PCI) w/ PCI TV Tuner (Still in the machine)

All worked fine under Win95/98 but recently I upgraded to WinXP and the video capture cards are no longer supported (On ATI's website it's mentionned they do not plan to support Win XP for these)

What are my options?

I have S-Video/Composite + White/Red cables coming out of my receiver to capture video from either TV, VHS, SNES or DVD. I usually record music videos or some short clips either from a TV Show or a DVD Movie to VCD Format or sometimes lower if it's to send a small file to someone on the net.

What would be the cheapest solution? I don't need any fancy features, just good VCD/MPEG-1 Capture from either composite or S-Video sources. Either as a PCI capture card or a USB break-out box.

2. JoshR

JoshR Agent

Haupagge's WinTV line sounds right up your alley. I'm probably going to get one myself in the near future. Namely, this one: http://www.hauppauge.com/html/wintvpvr250_datasheet.htm
    It's their PVR-250, which is a personal video recorder. So it obviously does capture(mpeg1 or mpeg2), and it's got all the nifty timeshifting capabilities as well.
    They also have some standalone capture and tuner cards, if you don't want to pay for the PVR extras.

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

You're going to have to buy a new one. Basically no older capture device that's not at least semi-pro oriented is being updated for XP, and then many of those are not (including mine, grr)

4. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

I'd recommend getting an All-In-Wonder 7500. It's an AGP card, but it's a step up from your old graphics card (most likely) and its about the same price as the WinTV card that Josh recommended. You're pretty much going to pay 50 to 100 dollars for a seperate tuner card, so it might be worth spending the extra 50 to get a pretty nice (albeit somewhat old) graphics card along with it.

I'd say the breakout options (RCA/S-Video In, TV out) make it worth the extra $50 all by itself.

I have the AIW 7500 and I'm quite pleased with it.

5. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Not Exactly true Jeff. I use an Avermedia tv98with a Brooktree chip and upgraded fine ..

They spent the time making XP drivers .... what's weird is that this card is pretty bad, but it only cost me $30 3 years ago.

Brent

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I didn't sa everything [​IMG] Only most things

7. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

My intentions were to get a newer AGP card (An ATI model compatible with my existing capture card) but since it won't work on XP, I guess that option is out of the question now.

So maybe an All In Wonder is what I'll get... That WinTV thing looks cool as well, I'll keep it in mind if I decide to keep my current video card... I don't think it supports a digital cable feed? Namely, Videotron/Illico in Montreal?

The main reason I'd be interested in an external solution is not to be tied down to the video card, if I want to upgrade my video card then I don't want to be restricted to those with built-in capture.

8. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Martin:

The thing is, most of the cards above the 7500 in performance PROBABLY won't give you a big performance boost if you have an older computer. Anything below 1 GHz as far as processing power PROBABLY won't reap the benefits of a better card.

BUT -- A top of the line AIW is coming out soon ($500 american), and I think NVidia might be updating their Personal Cinema line, so it may be something you don't want to totally discount.

Almost forgot -- the 7500 comes with a nice RF remote that doesn't require line-of-sight to use -- great if you're gonna put this thing next to the TV.

9. RossH

RossH Stunt Coordinator

Ross Hudgins
    I have the ATI AIW 7500 with the Remote Wonder. It has served me well. However, I'd like to burn some of my TV shows onto DVD, and the 7500 doesn't do hardware-based MPEG2 encoding. I don't think any ATI cards do.

As JoshR has recommended, I'm gonna get a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 card (Future Shop has them online for $150 CDN right now). I'll probably wish I'd done it sooner.

10. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

I'd suggest the Leadtek Tv2000 XP Expert:
    http://www.leadtek.com/multimedia/wi..._expert_1.html
    10-bit video decoder
    a very meaty remote
    fm radio capable
    well thought-out software bundle.
    not expensive....and works great in XP (for me anyway).
    Pair it up with the video card of your choice. Rather than being linked to the graphic chip of the AIW series.

11. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

This thread is a blast from the past. Whatever happened to Jeff Kleist anyway?

I've heard that the best possible S-video capture (in tersm of picture quality) is with the FlyVideo 3000. Only $45.

Ross,

If you want to burn onto DVD, you will be much better off capturing to a lossless format, and doing a proper multi-pass MPEG-2 encode with something like TMPGEnc. Real-time, single-pass MPEG-2 encoding will surely give you inferior results (which may be fine for time shifting something you will watch once, but not for archiving on DVD).

12. RossH

RossH Stunt Coordinator

Ross Hudgins
    Oh, yeah, I didn't even look at the dates. [​IMG]
    I don't really have the horsepower for multi-pass encoding, or loseless recording (gonna upgrade this fall, I hope). I'm more just looking for a quick and easy solution. I've been recording stuff at VCD quality for the past year, and I've gotten used to it, but I'd rather make DVDs for sharing and archiving shows. I know they aren't going to look like studio releases or anything, but should be good enough for me.
    Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

13. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

14. RossH

RossH Stunt Coordinator

Ross Hudgins
    Canopus is a little more (actually a lot more) than I want to spend, however, we have two ADVC-100's at my work, so in the event I have something I want to dub at high quality (probably some of my old music concerts or whatever), I'll just do it there.
    Plus there's no TV tuner.
    I've decided on the Hauppauge PVR-250...I've heard nothing but good things from people who have it.
    Thanks for the suggestions. What would I do without this forum...I spend more time in here than I did in school. [​IMG]