What's new

Need urgent opinion on the floorstadings JBL HLS 620 and JBL HLS 820 (1 Viewer)

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I can buy the folllowing setup:
JBL HLS 820 fronts
JBL HLS 620 rear
plus matching centers and sub for a complete 7.1 system for $550. What do you guys think? I need to make up my mind soon.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Check to make sure the driver are in the cabinets, if they are indeed in there then go for it. Even if you don't like them you could likely sell them for more than that. Were or who are you getting them from?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Note the horn tweeters are directional, meaning narrow soundstage, and reviews say they can sound boomy at times. But If you are going for home theater these should do just fine. And just the front speakers suggested retail is $700 you do the math.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Yea I am not sure why that happened, although I did click it twice I see no reason for is to post 10 times I will request for some of those to be removed maybe like 5 of them. :laugh:

Dude I can't even explain what this thing is doing it is so weird.

Luis Gabriel Gerena

Second Unit
I havent found any reviews...any links? BTW, Its a local pickup thing at about 45 minutes so I will be able to listen to them before buying but I wanted to make sure they are worth the trip. It seems they are a good deal but I am worried about the home theater comment. Do you mean they suck for music?

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Try audioreview.com for the reviews. It seems many folks have problems with the tweeter blowing. Maybe look into a sub sat Like the HSU Ventriliquist or Definitive Tech pro60 system.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
If so many people are complaining about the tweeters and other problems, maybe go with your gut instinct on this one. Did you ask the seller why he or she was selling them so cheap?

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
May not pertain to your situation, but I owned the JBL HLS610, which is the bookshelf version of the HLS620. Excellent speaker....well-balanced and not boomy at all. I sold it to upgrade to the later JBL Studio Series S26.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
IIRC the tweeter in those speakers, even the large model with the dual 8" woofers, is one of those 3/4" polycarbonate types which has a very small diameter voice coil (this type of tweeter has been around since the early eighties - this version from Audax looks nearly identical to the first one I ever saw, back in 1983 at Radio Shack). They can sound good, but IMO their power handling capacity is restricted by that skinny coil so I'm surprised JBL chose to pair it up with large floorstanders in a non-three way configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks