What's new

Need unconverting Player? (1 Viewer)

Micah Wells

Agent
My father is looking to purcahse the new Sony SXRD tv that is coming out in mid september. Looking at the specs, it says that the tv upconverts to 1080p. He si also looking at upgrading his DVD player. Should he allow the tv to do the upscaling or is it better to allow the dvd to perform this function?
Also, any suggestions on a good dvd player?

John S

Senior HTF Member
There is no good answer on this one. You need to try both and actually see the difference before making judgement.

I'm not aware of any upconverting players that currently go all the way to 1080p, so the scaler in the display would have to be used.

HD-DVD is comming, I assume they will output at 1080p.

Micah Wells

Agent
Thanks for the reply. Knowing my Dad, he will research everyday until he finds what he wants, but he is not one to buy and check it out, then try another one. He is replacing the 40 inch Mitsubishi tube that he bought 11 years ago. I am also getting him to trade out his VHS player for the new DVD player. I haven't looked at DVD units in a few years, so I don't really know what is the best money spent. He is taking the HD plunge, but I don't think that waiting on the HD-DVD is domething that he will want to do.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
If someone can answer this question, then maybe it will answer yours as well. Is it better to have the t.v. scale from 480p or upscaled 1080i? I ask this because maybe the t.v. will do a better job scaling from a picture that's been scaled to 1080i which is IMHO a great picture.

Micah Wells

Agent
At some point it will become impossible for us to tell the difference. He will see a huge upgrade with a standard progressive scan dvd player on the new tv over what he has now. But if he can spend a few more dollars and get a better set upthen he will. Plus it is alot of fun researching to spend someone else's money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks