What's new

need unbiased advice regarding surrounds (1 Viewer)

mominayal

Auditioning
Real Name
Mamoon Raza
Looking for unbiased advice regarding surround speakers. This is my 1st home theater. My setup will be as follows Anthem MRX 300 mated with anthem MCA30 to run the LCR B and W CM9 and CMC2 Definitive Tech Pro Cinema 1000 sub Epson 3020 on a 110" Black diamond fixed frame Question I have is regarding the surrounds. My dealer has recommended B and W DS3 at $450 each. I have found Niles audio PHD42 3 way wall mounts for only $150 each. (I need wall mounts for my setup) Is it worth the extra $1200 (price differnece of $300 X 4 speakers) for the B and W's which are only 2 way? Will these Niles speakers sound tinny? Thanks in advance for your help.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
Why do you need to go floorstanding? Would some bookshelves on stands work?

Brainwasher

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Luke
You do know nominal impedance is 4 ohm on the Niles speakers where the B and W are 8 ohm. I have never personally heard Niles, but b and w always sound very rich. Both speakers get down to 63 hz, so would handle 80hz setting on eq equally. Which is very nice. Here is the compare: http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=PHD42&recordID=Plasma%20High%20Definition%20Wall%20Mount%20Loudspeakers&categoryID=Speakers&catcdID=&prdcdID=FG01287 http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/600_Series/DS3.html

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
It seems like you are not sparing any expense on your setup. The most important thing is to have the fronts be matching (witch yours are)... It would be best if you had a timber match as well for all of the speakers - which is what your dealer is recommending. If you are looking to save some money - then at least having all of your surrounds matching would be the next best thing which is what you are asking for. A lot of the times, the surrounds are used for ambience and you will not be noticing them much. You could also go with having all 7 speakers be matching, and go with all of the same Niles speakers for everything - they would be a perfect match with each other, and save you some $$$ as well. You are adding a sub, so you could cross them all over at 80 HTz and not need the towers.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm trying to figure out how you are quibbling over $600 in cost on speakers you are going to have for the next 40 years.. All B&W and no worries is $4000-ish. Wondering if the Niles "are good enough" is $3400-ish.

mominayal

Auditioning
Real Name
Mamoon Raza
It's a $1200 difference not $600 (apologies if that wasn't clear). But all your points are noted and I appreciate the feedback. I will go with all b&w since I already own the cm9s for the left n right fronts. I was concerned about the timbers not matching and the sound being "different" and you guys have confirmed that it is a possibility so won't risk it. Once again your input is very very much appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Hey, I didn't break out my calculator...my math is never correct without a ruler and a calculator... But yeah...considering it is going to be a long while before you need speakers again...I'd spend the money. This coming from a guy whose "main" theatre(there are 4 in the house) is 9.1(counting height) using 2 BIC V830, 4 BIC V820 and two BIC V52 with the V52CLRS. The sub(this week) is a Velodyne. I've had the V830 since 1992. The V52 since 1994. The center sometime between there(I didn't do "center" till I had a Technics SAGX650). The V820(bought at separate times) showed up in like 1997 and 2001.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The living room is DCM TF600 and TF350(from the 80s) with a SurroundScape center and KX6 "width". (I use absolutely no "room correction" with these speakers. The AVR is set "flat". The speakers are that good. And as a "side note", the DCM TF600, especially when paired with "the same" speaker as rear cause "auto room corrections" to fail in set-up. They can't negate the back waves...cause part of the "reason to have" DCM TF...is because of the back waves. Similar to the reasons you can't use YPAO, MCACC, Audyssey etc with Martin Logan Electrostats or Mirage Omnisat) Office is set up for SACD/DVD-A with 4 Infinity Crescendo 3007 and what was a broken 3006 that I re-imagined as a center speaker/TV stand. Bedroom is Polk S8, S6 and "something" Polk center. The subs float around the house...except for the one in the office. The speakers and sub are all placed in the room for a pure flat room response from 14hz to 22,000hz +/- 1db at the main seated position. The subs I have are an old M&K, Velodyne DD15(original series), JVC sub(from back when JVC was relevant), "the mutt"(in the office), DCM sub 710(original amp died, run with a Jamo MPA), a Polk RM passive(that is usually powered by a Sony TA-N110) and a NHT passive with one of their amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks