need tweak tips for Hitachi 43UWX10B

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JiM T, Oct 9, 2001.

1. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

I'm supposed to be going over to my friend's mother's house tonight to tweak her new Hitachi 43UWX10B, but I'm not familiar with it. I told them I'd try to search the forums for service menu info & known issues with this set, but with the search function being as erratic as it is this morning, looks like my best bet is to come right out & ask.
    Does anyone know if there are any big issues with this TV that can be dealt within the span of an evening? If they involve the service menu, would someone be willing to post the proceedure? If there are any general "stock" settings that I could simply enter in, that would probably be sufficient, as my friend's mom is not a home theater type, and most likely would be satisfied with the picture just being "pretty good".
    Thanks in advance...
    JiM T

2. Marc Alexander

Marc Alexander Stunt Coordinator

The Hitachis are probably the least "tweakable" of all consumer sets (or the most difficult to tweak). But they are also the best out of box picture IMO. You will probably get more response and find more calibration info over at hometheaterspot.com. I would do a service menu convergence and a standard AVIA adjustment. That should get you a dynamite picture out of the Hitachi.

3. Cortney J Beard

Take a screwdriver(philips I think)and open up the front panel. I believe the uwx has six knobs, but it might only be three which adjust the guns power, this might be overkill but I have adjusted this with vid essentials which much luck. You can also get into the service manual and manually converge the set, the trick is to set the red gun perfectly then use the flash focus which will match up all three guns together. I hope this helps.
    Cort