Need TV suggestions for a non-videophile friend

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob McLaughlin, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    A friend of mine is in the market for a new television. He is looking for a 32-36 inch TV and wants to know what the best value is (maximum performance for the money). He doesn't want any bells or whistles or crazy outputs/inputs. He doesn't even own a DVD player. He is willing to get a digital set for forward compatibility, but it is not a huge priority for him.

Any suggestions?

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In the value-for-money race, I think that Samsung is hard to beat, especially in their HD-upgradeable models (there is some marketing name, but I can’t remember). Basically they have three series, and I assume that your friend would want the bottom one (fewer bells and whistles). Two models to think about: The TXM3296HF (32” 4:3 set) and TXM3096WHF (30” 16:9).
    This would allow your friend the option of upgrading to HD buy simply buying a tuner, later.

3. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

If he doesn't want any bells or whistles, is he going to pay $300+ for a digital tuner anytime in the somewhat-near future? If not, just have him get a 32" of his choice for around $500. By the time he'd go HD, digital TVs should be quite a ways down in price. I see little point in paying current prices for a direct-view HD set right now. They are small and overpriced, and what it costs to get HD on them makes it even worse. A digital rptv can be a good deal, but a direct-view, forget it.

As mentioned, any Samsung is a good deal for what you get. They're not the best, but most people would never complain, and the prices are certainly right. And there might be an even better deal on an Akai at Sam's Club, which is a rebadged Samsung.

A good 36" is going to be about $250 more, and that's not a great bang-for-the-buck compared to a 32" right now, so I'd shoot for a 32".

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If he doesn't care about a flat tube or video inputs I would say the best deal out there might be the Curtis Mathes sets made by Samsung that are ON SALE THIS WEEK at K-Mart. The 32 inch is $399 & the 36 inch with P-I-P is $629 both sets have front & rear composite Audio/Video Inputs & a rear S-Video Input & from what I understand both sets can do the "Squeeze Trick" for dvd's. The name brand Samsung 32 inch model adds a Component Video input jack & can be had for around $450.