What's new

Need TV stand advice for the Sony KV-34XBR910 (1 Viewer)

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I'll soon be purchasing the Sony KV-34XBR910 without the Sony TV stand (it's not practical for me). The TV is has a 23" depth footprint and the stand I'm looking at (the Plateau XT-V3) has a top shelf depth of 19.5". The Sony is about 200 lbs. and the Plateau can hold about 300lbs. on the top shelf alone. So, does anyone think that 4 inches of spillover is too much? Would this be a wise combination?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Most of the weight of that Sony is in the front. Probably the pivot point would be about two inches from the front, so as long as the overhang is all in the rear you should be OK

But any overhang in the front will be quite dangerous.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The point where there is an equal amount of weight to the front and rear. In the case of that XBR, you would have about 100 lbs behind this point and 100 lbs in front. In fact this point might not be even that far back, as the glass on the front of the screen is really heavy.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Another thing to remember is that while the Sony may have a certain depth its actual footprint -- the part of the chassis that actually touches the surface -- will be less. You should be fine.

Let us know how you like that set and its super-fine-pitch "aperture grill."

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Jack, I thought that as well, but I just took a close look at the thing at the store and it's footprint is only about 1-2 inches less than the full depth. So the footprint is roughly 22-23 inches.

I'm extremely excited about the TV though. It's my first in seven years.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at a 34XBR910 just last Saturday, displaying the ShowtimeHD feed. Even with the shortcomings of a good guys! showroom that set rocked. Amazing display.

Eric Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard of the 910 being easily "tipable" due to the pivot point? I live in San Francisco, so earthquakes are a concern for me. I've heard that the Sony 910 stand locks the TV down. If i bought a conventional stand is there another way to lock the TV down? Maybe to the wall? Any suggestions?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
What pivot point?

On the Sony stands there's a tie-down in back that wraps around a special part of the plastic molding on back of the set. For all its strength, however, I'd be wary of any top- and front-heavy flatscreen Sony remaining upright in any temblor above 5 on the Richter Scale.

During a recent minor 'quake in -- where? Palm Springs? -- one of the police officers interviewed on a local newscast said that the primary casualties of the shaker were "all those 27- and 32-inch televisions falling out of their entertainment centers."

Made me shudder as I gazed at my too-heavy WEGA, tie-downs and all.

Randy Brist

Agent
I just got the Sony 34XBR910 and love it. I purchased a TechCraft stand for it. Very sturdy and it mimics the older Sony stands with the silver coloring. The stand can also be swiveled to the left and right- but takes quite a push to move that TV. I don't have to swivel it, but it's available if need be. It fits the TV quite nicely and looks like a custom fit. I picked mine up at the same place (local dealer) where I got the TV. I bought a display model- already assembled- for about $160. I think brand new they were asking around $230.

RandyB

Randy Brist

Agent
I haven't been able to find a picture of the stand online. Nathan, the link you supplied is not to the stand I have. Let me grab my camera and see what I can do.

RandyB

Randy Brist

Agent

Not the best photos but here there are. Label on the back of the stand says FXB360 so I imagine it was originally for the 36" 4X3 sets.
I removed the glass doors on the front so I could stick my center channel speaker in there.

Randy

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
Aha, so this is the one you got.

Randy,

If you got some time later, do you mind taking a close up of the side of the set. Actually, I want to see just how much the top surface slants downward. I wonder if a center speaker would stay up there with some Blu Tac type stuff under it.

Thanks

Randy Brist

Agent
Nathan,

Will do. I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

The top of the XBR910 has only a very slight slant forward. I would feel comfortable putting a center channel speaker up there with some BluTac.

Randy

Randy Brist

Agent
Here is an edge view of the XBR910 top- with a DVD case for added perspective. As I said, not that much of a slant.

Randy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks