What's new

Need TV replacement. Considering projectors (1 Viewer)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
I have a 50" Samsung DLP that refuses to stay powered on for more than 10 minutes at time now, despite a new bulb. I've been debating what to do. I'd kind of like to go for a projector, but I dunno. I don't want to spend a lot, but I see no reason to do anything less than 1080P. I may not have enough space for it though. How far does a projector need to be from the screen and at what angle (straight? above?)? Ceiling mount isn't likely. I play a lot of video games as well as watching DVD and BD. Is there any reason not to use a projector for gaming? I've been playing games on my 24" LCD lately. I know my DLP had a "game mode." Are any of these HDTVs really responsive enough for gaming? Do projectors go on sale at all for xmas time? I'll probably consider my options on black friday if I'm still undecided.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
What's the size of your room? The projector's location from the screen(throw distance) depends on the projector and screen size. Typical is 12'-15', and it depends on the zoom lens. Projectors are very popular for gaming, especially DLP projectors. What is your budget for projector? In case you don't know, you'll also need an A/V receiver and speakers for sound. Between now and Christmas is a good time to buy because new models are coming out, and the replaced model's prices are reduced.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
Well, I hope to move in the spring, but my room where the 50" is sitting is like 11x11, maybe 11x13. I have a Denon receiver I picked up last fall and some cheap speakers. If I do it, I'd like to keep it under 2 grand, but I might go up to 2500.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You can use a projector in that room, but you'll have to choose the proper screen size. If you're not going to ceiling mount it, you have 2 options: 1) put it on a low table or 2) put it on a shelf on rear wall, sitting upright(If you do this, you'll need an LCD projector with lens shift).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks