What's new

Need TV advice (1 Viewer)

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to pull the trigger on a new TV sometime between now and Thanksgiving. I love the Sony line of TV's and made a decision to definatley get one. I am just stuck between either the 36" WEGA or the 40" XBR. There is about $700 price difference. Is there really a drastic size differance. They have the same amount of ports and I am not interested in their built in sound systems. Is there a 36" XBR?

Thanks.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Since you're asking about specific model recommendations, it's best to post in the area devoted to the topic at hand.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
There is a 36XBR800 but it's hard to find. If you're planning on movie watching, I would recommend the 40XBR800, unless you're tight on space. The 36HS510 (I'm assuming that's the 36 you're looking at) has a very good image quality, but it's not as crisp on HDTV inputs as the XBR is.

The best idea is to look at them yourself at a local Circuit City. I work there, and I can vouch for the weight of an XBR. I've lifted a 36HS510 with a friend of mine, but an XBR takes three people to lift, unless they're mutants. When it comes to reliability, I haven't seen an XBR800 come back, nor have I seen a 36HS510, but I will note that we've had more satisfied customers from the HS510 then the XBR800. Most people that purchase the XBR800 claim, "I paid 2400 dollars. For 400 dollars more, I could've gotten a 42" plasma screen"

What will you primarily be using the screen for? If you're going to be watching movies primarily, then I would suggest a plasma screen. They're 42 inches, they can be hung on the wall, and EDTV plasma screens look GREAT for movies.

The new XBR's are widescreen tv's but I think they're worthless, because you can't watch TV at all with it, (in terms of cable).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

That's a bit extreme, Mando. Except for the substandard video quality of most NTSC broadcasts themselves, the widescreen XBRs will display them as well as any other monitor.

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
The weight is just insane... Thats why I am going to wait and hope Plasmas go down in the next few years...

I like big screen tv's, I just dont want the clunky box that goes with it...

P.S. I was just at Circuit City and the salesman didnt understand what I meant when I said I wanted to hook up the S-video... He didnt understand what S-video was... I was quite concerned, especially since he was in the tv department...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks