Need to under dog in order to keep their dodo off my lawn!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DustinLC, Nov 10, 2003.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Help dog owners, will wet lawn keep dogs from interested in doing their business on my lawn?

I've lived in my new house for 3 years now and have learned that there are many irresponsible dog owners that will let their dog carry out their bodily excretions on my lawn and other area in my front yard. I've come to accept that I need to scrop up a pile a week even though each time I scrop up these dinosaur dodo, I nearly lose my stomach.

I have tried this:

Putting up a sign that reads "please pick up after your dog, it's the law." This was when I knew the dog owner down the street that do this and was really targeting him. It solved the problem and I removed the sign. However, over the span of time, I noticed that there were different sizes of dodo so there are multiple irresponsible owners. I put up the sign again and some even had their dog do it around the sign [​IMG] .

I just felt leaving the sign there was unattractive and some would just ignore it anyway..

Recently I got very upset because there is this one owner who obviously has a big dog, who would let the dog deposite a big pile on the grass on a regular basis. One day while I was mowing, I didn't see it and made a mess of things [​IMG] . I was so upset, I had to toss away my shoes, clean my lawn mower, wipe the power cord...and I tell you, those thing sticks on grass pretty good. It's hard to get them off! On bark, I just get my shovel and usually don't get as upset.

So there really isn't any hope and just had a thought that maybe if I water my lawn during evening, it would keep it wet so just a fancy hope that maybe dogs don't like wet lawn? I don't know, you tell me.

Also, if one of your neighbor have a security camera in front, would it bother you? I was thinking about putting up a fake one or one that's not running. Any thoughts would help.

1.I have tried vinegar on just the bark area. Don't work and it sticks and not a permanent solution.

2. Automatically trigger sprinkler wouldn't be a good idea because it would piss off some regular folks that are just walking by and not to mention the meter person need to step up to the house.

I apologize because I know this kind of thread pops up occasionally but I really need help. Thanks.

2. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

People are just lazy assholes, and unless you catch them and their dog in the act, they aren't gonna change. Signs might affect those with a conscience.

I guess dog poop affects people differently; after 15 years of being a veterinarian and cleaning up several tons, it doesn't bother me at all. [​IMG] Human poop would be a different story.

Get yourself a dedicated pooper scooper like one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...pooper_scooper

and go to it. [​IMG]

3. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

As an environmental engineer, with significant experience in sanitary wastes, I must tell you that the correct technical term is doo doo, not dodo.[​IMG]

4. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    Too bad it isn't dodo, as it would then be extinct and your problem would therefore not exist.

5. DustinLC

6. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

In 7 years in my house, I have only ever seen one instance of another dog's deposit on my lawn. Bummer dude.

Anyway, as a dog owner, just let the crap dry out so its easy to remove - you have a little shovel right?

And the talk of bark --- are you talking about a dog urinating on a tree? I'm confused...

7. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Are you at home when this occurs? If so, I would use a camera and take pictures of these insensitive fools. If you're not home (which I assume to be the case), I would definitely set up a camera. It's your property, and no one has a right to deposit biological waste on your yard. Even though the chances are slim, just think of the health hazards that could develop from it. Especially if you have kids, or wish to.

But the most sensible thing would be to get clear evidence from a camera (still or video), and then let the proper authorities do their job. As long as you do it that way, if the animal waste is damaging your lawn in any way, you would have the evidence necessary to have the dogs' owners held liable for any expenses incurred in repairing your lawn.

8. DustinLC

9. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Wait, you actually know who is doing it and you have not said anything to them yet? Stop being so passive. Go down there and tell them to keep their dogs shit off your yard. And when you go to the door, make sure you take the shit with you in a bag and tell them that you don't like cleaning this up every day. If they do not take it then leave it on the front door step. Be an asshole, they are being one so just return the favor. Not saying try and start something that may lead to the cops showing up, but you can be assertive without that happening.

If you already tried doing it the nice way with the sign, and they refuse, then it's time to be an asshole. I always give people one chance, because usually that's all that decent people need to fix their mistakes (and all I would need), after that they are just assholes.

10. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

11. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

First off people who even would let their Dog piss or god forbid crap on your property, deserve no respect and should be treated as such.

There is no excuse for someone letting there dog even step on your private property.

The video camera idea would work except I would make a copy of it and tape it to the top of a small box with thier dogs crap in it.

Better yet get an envelope and put there name on it and put it in their mailbox, if they have one by the street.

Some people just don't have respect for other peoples property.

12. DustinLC

13. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

14. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

16. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

17. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

18. Eric Kahn

Eric Kahn Guest

Cook lots of bacon, save the bacon grease, pour bacon grease on the doggy deposits, the dog will eat said deposit next time it comes by, removal problem solved[​IMG]
    usually make owner of said dog sick enough after the second time they will not let the dog go in that yard anymore

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

20. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

Go buy a couple bottles of cayan pepper, or other hot spice. Spread the stuff all over the front section of your lawn for a few weeks (note: doesn't work when its wet). As dogs usually like to sniff the area before they "go", they should have a bad yet harmless sneezing reaction. Hopefully they will learn not to go onto your propperty.