Need to track down IP numbers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Thomas, Oct 10, 2002.

1. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Is there a program available that tracks down IP#s that's freely downloadable/available with the OS? I'm currently using Tracert and it gives me decent info, but I'd like to see who these numbers belong to.

Thanks!

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Try nslookup (available in most/all flavors of Windows as well as Unix) or whois if you have a unix/linux box. There are various options to get information on domains in particular. Note that not all IP addresses will resolve to a domain.

What are you looking for this information for? Is someone trying to hack your system?

KJP

3. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

You can download the eval version of NeoTrace Pro here at ZDNet.. Not sure how much info it gives you without being registered though.

4. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

There are several sites around that will convert IP addresses to hosts and that also have whois facilites. This site is quite good.

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

You will only be able to track it down to the ISP if it is not a website or anything. If you are looking for, say, who owns 64.xxx.xxx.xxx on dialup,cable modem or DSL, you will not be able to find out the individual user.
    My public IP @ work (or my block of them actually), only shows as my ISP owning them. If you resolved my website addy, it shows you the domain owner and the DNS servers, but if you did my cable @ home, it only shows you my ISP providor.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

That doesn't have to stop a determined search or serious complaint, of course; you can always contact the ISP who owns the address. They have internal logging that will let them pinpoint the user. Of course, making them divulge that is another matter altogether, but if one has a legitimate complaint (like someone attacking your computer who is their customer and proof of that) you can demand they take action on it.

7. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm tracking down some of these intrusions as to do something about it.

8. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

What kind of intrusions? I assume you have a firewall that's logging something, right?

9. Michael Frommer

I am interested in the very same thing, that is, I want to try to identify sources of incomming (especially) communications that my firewall is alerting me to.

I'm using NIS 2002 with highest firewall levels and notifying me about everything. I'm doing this in the hope that I can configure the firewall with greater detail. That is, block/allow cookies, active X controls, etc. from specific sites. Also, to make sure that inbound traffic is from a trusted source.

For example: I am using M$ Money 2002 with it's 'background banking' feature. The problem is I don't know if it's my financial institutions that are trying to background download info or a potential hack. I am blocking these communications until I can figure it out.

I'm also getting alerts saying the firewall has "block steal UDP port from 151.204.137.124 (ssdp(1900)) trying to access C:|WindowsSystem32svchost.exe"

Any aditional thoughts or suggestions from the forum would be appreciated.