Need to span a 30’ run to connect Denon cassette deck and h/k 525.

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by John Pine, Aug 14, 2004.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    This is not a mission critical application and will not be used regularly. But, I would like to get the best I can from my (USED) but newly purchased Denon DRM-710 cassette deck. Unfortunately, there is no room available in my HT rack. So it’s going downstairs in my back up system. The length needed is approximately 30’. I’m considering using inexpensive cables like two Monster Standard Audio Interlink 100 (19.7 ft) & (13.1 ft) Interconnects. Of course I’ll have to use female-to-female adapters in the run. How much signal loss should I expect? Would stepping up to the Interlink 300 or 400 correct the problem?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    The only problem you might get with a long signal run would be be a slight drop in signal strength (not to be confused with “degradation”) and/or a slight drop in response at the highest frequencies. The latter shouldn’t be a problem for a cassette deck, since the response of tapes typically starts rolling off at about 15kHz anyway.

Both can be compensated for “at the end of the line” – with a nudge of the volume and/or treble control.

That said, 30ft. hardly qualifies as a “long” signal run. Bottom line, you won’t experience any problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. John Pine

John Pine
    Thanks for the feedback Wayne! Sounds like upgrading to the 300 or 400 series would be unnecessary.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Chu that sounds like a deal! But, it says it's a Video cable, does it make a difference?

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

nope. Audio interconnects are either shielded coax or some variation on twisted (braided). The former have less capacitance and for a longer run, that's not a bad thing at all.