need to replace Take 5 mains (1 Viewer)

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
Current setup:
Take 5 with EXLS10 subwoofer
Yamaha 995 receiver
Toshiba 3109 DVD
Mitsu 35" TV
Fantasic setup for the money and great for movies. The problem is I need more for music. I want to replace the mains with something else. Any ideas? I need something with a street price of about $250 for the pair so I know I'm talking bookself, but that's fine since I have a sub and it will give me much better midrange than the current Take 2 mains I have. Bookshelf is all I have room for anyways. I was thinking about Energy e:XL16s so I will stay all Energy. I haven't found a good price online yet. Also, I found NHT Super Ones new from authorized dealer but with slight blemish for $200 a pair. Would these match well with the system I have? Thanks for any suggestions.
Satch

Shane Acker

Agent
I can't say anything about the NHT's because I haven't heard them. I was in the same dilemma as you with my Take 5's and E-XLS10. I upgraded the mains to E-XL15's. I am really happy with the way they are working out. I really got a lot of extra punch on music which was my only complaint with the Take 5's. I don't think you would go wrong with the 16's.
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

Steve Satch

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. Do you know a good online vendor for Energy products? I think I'm going to try the e:XL16s

Seungsoo Hwang

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have the Take5 system, and I was dissapointed at their music ability as well. I did audition the E:xl-16s and found that I didnt like their sound very much, although your milege may vary. I ended up with PSB alpha B's.

Shane Acker

Agent
I bought all my stuff at Good Guys. I don't really know of any online vendors for Energy products. I don't think they are too keen about online sales. I would try doing a search through the previous posts and see if you can dig up anything that someone else may have posted.
Hope this helps
------------------
Shane Acker
My Home Theater EquipmentList

Adam Nixon

Second Unit
One of my closest friends has nothing but praise for Soundpros, and I've heard the same from others on this board.
[Edited last by Adam Nixon on July 13, 2001 at 12:29 AM]

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Energy 16s are a good idea. I bought my fiancee a pair as a gift to get her out of boom-box-dom, and they were pretty nice. They even come in a couple of different finishes, if I remember correctly. I bought them locally awhile ago, so I don't remember pricing.
They're now in the closet, but I hope to bring them out to the bedroom with my pr. of Take 5s for surrounds after we get married.
I would agree the PSBs probably do a better job of taming typical gear (I have a pr of original Alphas too), but keeping it in the familiy is probably better if its dual purpose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks