Need to replace my universal remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Taylor, Sep 20, 2002.

1. David Taylor

David Taylor Agent

Ok, I'm looking for some advice. My dear old One-for-All A/V Producer 8 is finally starting to flake out. I guess I've dropped a few hundred more times than it was designed to handle. It has been a great remote for almost 5 years.

Here's my question. Should I go with the same type of remote from One-For-All? I believe they still make similar ones. Are any of the Sony or Phillips remotes any good? I know the high end ones (more than I wanna spend) have touch screens. I really do not think that I would like that. Could someone with a touchscreen remote give me some feedback on it? It is easy to use without looking at it?

Sony also makes some cheaper remotes (~$99) that do not have a touch screen. Any experience with those?

Best Buy has something called the "Home Theater Master Universal Remote — SL-9000" for $99. Does anyone use this remote?

Basically, I don't want to spend more than $100 and I'm wondering if remotes have improved greatly since I bought my A/V Producer 8 those many years ago. Any advice or input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
    David

2. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

If you can spring for $115 - $120, the Mx-500 (Home Theater Master) is as good as it gets short of a Pronto. Try etronics.com or bluedo.com.

Jim L

3. Luis C

Luis C Stunt Coordinator

I have an MX-500 for sale... mint with manual (no box). Will sell it for $80 + shipping (about $6 to you).

4. David Taylor

David Taylor Agent

I might be interested. I'm going to look locally tonight, and I'll email you this evening or tommorow morning if I want it. It sounds like a good deal. Why are you selling it?

David

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

You can find some good deals on some Pronto 1000s on ebay for under $100. This would be the best budget touchscreen option, since it's buttons are variable (you can have any button anywhere) as opposes to static like alot of the cheaper touchscreen remotes (sony, sima, rca).

You may also want to try the route i went. I picked up a Palm M100 from ebay for $40 and am using OmniRemote. There's alos software from phillips called Pronto Light that works exactly like the pronto, except on a palm. Both are $20 (even though i got a cracked version of omniremote from kazaa). Both use the IR that is built into the palm. You can even reprogram the hard buttons. Setup can be a little time consuming, but there is software to help with that also. Omnidesktop for omniremote, and prontodesigner, i think, for pronto light. Alot of people also make public their saved pronto remote files, so if someone has already made a pronto design for a remote you have, then you can just download it.

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

I highly recommend the Home Theater Master MX-500.

7. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

David,

I was in a rush this morning, I'll try to address some of your other questions. First of all I own a TSU-1000 (Pronto), Mx-500, and a RC9200 (Marantz's color Pronto).

To be honest, I was disappointed in the readability of the B&W (actually green screen) Prontos. The remote itself is very cool from an operational and flexability standpoint. Nothing short of a Crestron system comes close. It is also difficult to impossible to operate without looking at it. That's why I upgraded. The color solves readability problems, and the Marantz has additional hard buttons including a D pad (cursor control) so I don't have to look, most times. Touchscreens with this much flexability typically take lots of hours to set up.

I'd stay away from trying to adapt a PDA, at least at present. They ALL have problems with IR transmission strength (range) and are also highly directional. Pronto lite is new to the marketplace and MAY have issues. It also requires a minimum level of OS in the PDA so older PDA's may not work. Even so, it does not remedy the transmission problem. Just my humble opinion.

If you do get an MX-500, go to the Bluedo.com website and read the FAQ on the best way to program the remote. I.E. the Aux 155 procedure.

Jim L