What's new

Need to replace HK AVR 7200 (1 Viewer)

CliffA

Auditioning
I'd like to get something with at least 2 hdmi inputs for fios & blu-ray, and 1 out, 7.1 channels, at least 100w per, driving 7 Axiom speakers.

Also, I'd like to make sure it does not have a very annoying behavior that the AVR 7200 has. Every time the audio encoding changes, there is a 2-3 second silence while it adjusts. When you are watching a HD channel, the audio is usually dolby 5.1, but some, but not all of the commercials are in stereo, so there are often 2, 4, or even more gaps. (Also some hd shows, like on HBO, tend to broadcast the preview of next week in stereo, so we always lose the first couple seconds of those. Very annoying!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
There's a lot of choices out there including HK. I can only guess if you purchased a 7200 brand new in it's prime, then my guess is that you paid 2,000 or more for it. If that's your budget and you like the sound HK has continue with it and seek what you want at harmonkardon.com for your selection.

Curtis Lotter

Stunt Coordinator
Hi CliffA, I'm in a very similar situation as you. I have the AVR-8000 and am considering getting a new receiver to update to the newest sound formats.

I really love the 8000 and really don't want to get rid of it, but I have a 65" Toshiba 1080i only TV and I want something that will upconvert my PS3 720P games to 1080i over component. So far the only receiver I have found that meets all my criteria is the HK AVR 254/354 series.

I have a separate Parasound amp that I use so the lower power output of the 354 wouldn't matter to me.

You may want to put this on your list. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks