Need to pick a CRT for Bedroom HT

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Stephen Hopkins, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'm moving into a much larger apartment in the fall. The main system in the living room will consist of a Panasonic L300U projector and 88" Parkland Plastic screen , Pioneer Elite 43TX receiver, Swan's Diva 4.1 mains, C3 center, 2.1 surrounds, Stryke AV12 sub, and an RCA DTC100 or whatever Comcast offers for HDTV (haven't decided on which). Other than the possible addition of the Comcast HDTV box I already own all of these components.

The apartment I'm moving into in the fall has fairly larges bedrooms and I would like to put together a modest HT to put in mine. I really want to take some of the load off of my projector and limit it to movies with groups of people, sporting events, and a few weekly prime-time shows. The bedroom HT will be mainly for casual SD and possibly HDTV (not sure if you can do 2 HD tuners w/ Comcast Cable), casual DVD viewing, and some PS2. I've picked up a refurbished Kenwood VR-6060 receiver from ecost for $135 shipped. I have a pair of Pioneer bookshelf speakers I'm going to use as mains and fill out the center and surround as I find them cheap on ebay or elsewhere. I'll probably add a Dayton 10" or cheap DIY sub on down the road.

Now for the display there are a few models I'm considering and am open to other recommendations. I'm considering the following models:

Philips 30PW633R (30" 16:9 Flat SDTV) - $600 bestbuy
    Philips 32PT740H (32" 4:3 HDTV w/ 16:9 compression) - $500 walmart
    Sharp 32F631 (32" 4:3 Flat SDTV w/ 16:9 compression) - $489 bestbuy
    Samsung TXN2668WHF (26" 16:9 Flat HDTV) - $480 sears w/ some employee discounts

I really don't HAVE to have a flat screen. I would like one of the larger sized sets. If I go 4:3 I want 16:9 compression. I would really like HDTV but it's not a must. I was really hoping to keep it under $500.

All of these factors have me leaning towards the Philips 32PT740H. It's 32" 4:3 HDTV w/ 16:9 compression. It has everything I want and is under my price cap. The fact that much of the viewing on this set will be casual SDTV viewing as well as TV based (4:3) DVD the fact that it's not widescreen isn't of much consequence to me, especially since the only widescreen model I'm considering (30" wide SD) is less than 1" larger than the 16:9 area of the 32" screen.

Are there any other models I should be considering? Is there anything pro/con I should know about the models I'm considering? Any other insight?

I wish I could find something from Sears because I can arrange some very nice discounts, but I just don't see anything from there that really interests me.

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

Bump... anyone? Seems like since the X1 came out this has been the Front Porjection forum [​IMG] lol.

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If your looking for a really nice SD 32" TV consider the Top-Of-The-Line JVC "Flat Tube" AV-32FA54 model that CompUsa has (In their stores & on their website) for $499 It has the 16:9 DVD Mode & the SVM can be turned ON/OFF. It also has P-I-P & comes with a One Year Labor Warranty. My rule of thought is that if your going to spend over $500 than go with an HDTV set but that's just me. I really don't know enough about the Philips models to comment on them.

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

That JVC model is a possibility, but I think I would rather trade off the JVC's flat and PIP for the HDTV of the Phillips. I know the Philips used to run around $900 and now is on it's final markdown at walmart (and no longer on their website). If I can't find it locally when I get back home to Kentucky (at school at Georgia Tech right now) I may go with the 32" JVC. I would feel much more comfortable with it than the 32" Flat Sharp model I was looking at. I've pretty much ruled out the 30" widescreen Philips model because for $600 and only SD it's not a smart decision when you can get a similar 32" Flat 4:3 SD w/ almost the same 16:9 diagonal area for much less with more features.

Any more opinions or insights?

Thanks [​IMG]

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I don't blame you the price on the Philips HDTV is a Great Price. But don't wait too long on any of the models that are out there now because "ALL" the new models will be coming out shortly. So if you find something you want don't wait, JUMP ON IT [​IMG] before there gone.