Need to match up a center with my inwall fronts

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by BrianTwig, May 15, 2006.

1. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

I have pretty much settled on getting NHT IW3's for my front speakers and will get either the IW3 or IW2 for my surrounds. I will be using the SVS 20-39 PCi for my sub and a Marantz SR5600 or SR7500 for my receiver.

Here is my dilema. NHT does not make an inwall center to the best of my knowledge. So, what to do for a center. Would it be advisable to just get an IW3 and turn it sideways and use it for the center?

The NHT centers such as the M5, M6, Three C, SC1, etc... are not inwall, nor do I know how they will match up with the IW3s, and placement of them would likely be an issue. Plus they are a bit higher in price than I would like as I have a limited budget.

Thanks for the advise!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Brian,

A matching speaker to your right and left is your best bet, as they will sonically match. There’s no reason to turn the in-wall center speaker sideways. Install it upright, or if it’s above ear level, upside down. They just do the low profile thing with freestanding center speakers because it looks better on top of a TV.

If you go with one of the non-in walls, use one that has the same drivers as your in-walls, for a better sonic match.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. BrianTwig

BrianTwig Second Unit

Thanks Wayne. I appreciate it.

I think I have pretty much settled on the main parts of the system.

Now I need to find a cheap DVD player that won't render the investment in audio gear a waste. I rarely watch movies, but when I do I would atleast like to benefit from the new system.

And a new CD player. Preferrably a 5 disc. What would be some good options for a muti-disk player that are high enough quality and have the needed technical do-dads for the new system to function properly, and sound great?

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Brian,

This Basics forum is primarily for learning the ins and outs of this hobby. If you want recommendations on hardware, our Moderators prefer if you post a question on one of our other Forums. The Audio/Video Sources Forum would be the place for recommendations on a DVD player.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt