Need to lose 20 lbs and I have questions

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by David Baranyi, Oct 20, 2003.

1. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

In the last few years years, I had noticed that I had been gaining weight to where it affected my physical appearance and the clothes I where. Because of this, I am currently on a diet as I need to lose 20 lbs to return to the weight appropriate for my height which is 5' 5". I have some questions:

a) For a 5' 5" adult male, what is the average weight I need to be so I will not be seen as over-weight?

b) How much calories should I intake each day so I can lose weight?

c) What should I be concerned when losing weight: foods containing "total fat" or "saturated fat"?

d) What is the ideal loss of weight I should achieve in one week?

I would gladly appreciate any helpful replies.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I'm not after loosing too much weight, maybe 10 lbs or so, but more after not gaining more.

I don't diet, but what I do is monitor my daily fat intake, trying not to exceed the RDA. I also don't eat 3 hours before bed and I walk 1.5 miles 4-5 times a week.

For example, the Carls Jr. Santa Fe Chicken Sandwitch. All together it has a total of 31 grams of fat, get it without the sauce and it's only 8. That's 23 grams of fat just in the sauce. I mostly order foods without sauces because that is where most of the fat is.

Diets are a good way to loose a lot of weight fast, like Atkins...etc., but once you go off, the fat can come back very easily. I believe the best way to lose weight or keep from gaining is a simple exercise plan and discipline with eating.

Good luck!

Peace Out~[​IMG]

3. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

David do you exercise?

4. Michael Varacin

Michael Varacin Stunt Coordinator

Diets don't work. If you want to loose weight, you have to change your lifestlye. It's as simple as that.

Simple rule:

Calories in > Calories out = Weight gain.
    Calories in < Calories out = Weight loss.
    Calories in = Calories out = Weight stable.

How many calories you should eat depends on how active you are. If you work out a lot, you need to eat more.

After a while, you'll get in tune with your body as to how much you should eat.

Forget the diet fads and follow the simple rules above....and remember...change your lifestlye or it will come back.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

-Dont diet or starve yourself
    -Eat 5 or six small meals a day to up your metabolism
    -Each portion should be the size of your fist
    -Exercise at least 3 days a week
    -Drink lots of much water
    -At all costs,avoid sugar
    -Stick with basic good foods and keep fats and carbs low.Chicken,turkey, tuna,fish,brown rice,oatmeal,eggwhites,wheat pasta,etc
    -Eat lots of veggies
    -If you are lifting weights go by appearance not weight.
    -You must keep your heartrate up to burn fat.

Check out Matt Stones thread awhile back, he lots alot of weight and theres alot of info in it.

6. Michael Hughes

Michael Hughes Second Unit

Weight Watchers is an excellent plan, of a diet plan that does work. It forces you to learn about all foods and there consequences and you can eat any of the foods you want. It's just not realistic to give up a bread, pasta and sweets for life. On Weight Watchers you target a set amount of points in each day. So for instance if you are 210 lbs you would get 26 pts. So for example a cup of high fiber cereal, with 1/2 cup of skim milk and a half a banana would be 3 pts, a slice of pizza would be 6 pts, a bag of m&ms would be 5 pts, 1 fig newton is 1 pt, a cup of skim milk is 2 pts, the list goes on and on. You track your points for the day and try to reach target. In case you go over, you get 35 flex points that you can use throughout the 7 days of the week for splurging. You also get extra points for excercise. I find it to be an excellent plan.

Like you, I have to drop 20, I am a believer because so far I have lost 7 in 4 weeks and have not had to make a huge amount of sacrifice. I am choosing better options now, and excercising each day to give myself some wiggle room for more eating options. My wife lost 25 lbs last year and has kept it off. Its really a solid plan. You learn how to track what you eat and guage what you should be eating and what is good for you to eat. it helps you rebuild your eating lifestyle and gives you the best chance at long term success.

I signed up online for $60 for 3 months, check it out at weightwatchers.com

good luck

7. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

A few simple guidelines for losing weight:

1. As stated previously, don't go on a diet. If you are serious about losing weight, then it will require a lifestyle change. The minute you go off a diet and back to your regular eating habits the weight will come back. In some cases, it's possible to gain more weight back than what you had previously.

2. To lose weight, an ideal range of calories should be at least 10x bodyweight for maintenance. Don't go below that number or else you'll be in starvation mode and your body will store more fat. Eating at maintenance level convinces your body that it's not starving and it will gradually shed away the fat.

3. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day and spread your total caloric intake over those meals. This is far more efficient and will keep your metabolism and insulin levels constant throughout the day, which provides for maximum level of fat burning capabilities.

4. You must combine aerobic exercise, weight lifting, and good nutrition to lose weight. If you perform aerobic exercise and eat well, then you'll only be looking at a smaller version of your current self. To truly look better and feel better, you also need to add muscle. Adding muscle will also help increase the rate at which you burn off fat, making it easier for you to lose weight in the future.

5. Eliminate all of the following:

Fast food. Fast food such as McDonald's, Burger King, and Carl's Jr. are loaded with fat and simple carbohydrates (suguars). As a rule, when on a cutting diet, it's recommended to cut out fast food completely. If you HAVE to eat out and there's no avoiding it, eat out sensibly. For example, get a non-fried chicken sandwich and throw away the bread. Now you've got a semi-healthy meal.

Sweets, sugars, and junk food. Chips, cookies, candy, mayonnaise, and full-fat salad dressing may sound really good, but they are not very helpful to your body. As a rule, they need to be eliminated to keep caloric intake low and nutritional values high.

Sodas. Sodas just are not healthy for you. They contain a plethora of sugars and sodium that can wreak havoc on your insulin levels and blood pressure. Drinking six 20 oz sodas a day can easily make you obese in the span of a few years if you don't have an incredibly high metabolism. Instead, drink water or diet soda if you absolutely cannot stay away from soda.

Condiments and sauces such as ketchup and BBQ sauce. These are also loaded with sugars and calories. Instead, a good alternative would be to use mustard in place of ketchup. Use fat-free mayonnaise in place of regular mayonnaise if you have to have mayonnaise.

White bread. White bread is high on the glycemic index (an index that measures how much food has an effect on blood sugar levels) and generally is not recommended for those that are looking to lose fat. Instead, eat wheat bread or whole wheat bread as a much healthier alternative. It's best to eliminate bread entirely however, as it can be difficult to digest.

6. Eat nutritionally sound, wholesome food as part of your weight loss program. Without an adequate supply of vitamins and minerals that come from healthy food, the body just will not he in an optimal fat-burning state. Always include at least 2-3 servings of vegetables in your diet per day.

7. Use supplements. You're not going to be able to get all of your nutritional requirements through your meals unless you can spend all day preparing them properly, so supplements can be necessary. At the very minimum, a post workout shake containing whey protein and a multi-vitamin supplement should be used. Also, calcium can be optional unless you are getting your daily requirements of calcium in your diet.

8. Consume essential fatty acids (EFAs). The essential fatty acids are linolenic acid and linoleic acid, also called Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids. They are essential as the body cannot make them on its own, so EFAs need to be included in the diet. They are required by the body to repair cells and to promote a healthy immune system. As a rule, at least 2-3 servings a week of fish should be plenty. If you can't eat fish, then 1-2 1000 mg flaxseed oil capsules per day is recommended.

9. Drink water. And LOTS of it. Water will help keep you full and hydrated. Water will also help with the thermogenic effect of foods.

10. Go by body composition, not weight on the scale. Scale weight is dependent on many factors, and can include water, muscle, and fat. Use bodyfat calipers or hydrostatic weighing (your gym may have that capability) to test your body composition. Tanita bodyfat percentage scales generally are not recommended as they tend not to be as accurate as the above methods.

By following these guidelines, it should be easier for you to lose weight. Try not to be deficient in any macronutrient (protein, carbs, and fat) and make sure that you consume enough protein to maintain and build new muscle. As a rule, protein consumption should be at least 1 gram of protein per lb. of lean body mass.

Good luck in your quest for weight loss. I've lost 80 lbs. myself and I'm on the final phase to lose the last 25 I need to get down to my goal weight of 165-170. Keep up with the program and don't stop for any reason (unless you need to take a break and recover from overtraining).

8. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

I've had good success with the Atkins plan. Note that I didn't say "diet", but plan. The first two weeks (the "induction" phase) were a little tough, but after that, it's been quite good, and not too difficult to remain disciplined. And I've learned lots of new recipies as a side-benefit. [​IMG] My first two weeks on Atkins, I lost 14 pounds. Not too shabby, I must say. [​IMG] (I'm 5'11, and I *was* about 260.)

It's all about changing your lifestyle. Note that as others have said, you need physical excersize as well.

9. David Baranyi

David Baranyi Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for those of you who replied. I will take your recommendations, especially on avoiding fatty foods and exercise into consideration. I have questions regarding food:

a) A question about salad dressing: what dressings that I should consider, and what dressings I should avoid? Should croutons and imitation bacon be avoided?

b) Is Subway a good healthy alternative to the typical fast food restaurants?

c) How do I know about my metabolism rate? Do I need a doctor to find out?

10. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

For salad dressings, I stick to oil and vinegar. Making your own is really easy and is not bad at all. I'll even sprinkle vinegar and flax seed oil on my salad, topped with some spices. I don't do croutons or imitation bacon. If you must have bacon, use real bacon. Almond slivers work great as a crouton replacement.

Subway is better than most, but there really is a lot of bread to it. I get a 6" and only eat half the bun. No soda/chips/cookies. They have great salads there, too.

Brian's got some awesome advice. I really watch my carbs because I'm insulin resistant and carbs really make me gain weight. By limiting my daily carb intake to about 50-70g/day, I've been steadily losing about a pound a week. I don't eat more than 30g in any one meal, often times much less than that.

50-70g/day is hardly "giving up breads and sweets" for life. The best thing is to try to keep your blood sugar steady and if you choose to eat some carbs, always pair it up with protein. Carbs all by themselves is the worst thing to consume.

11. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    There's some great advice here, and a few things I'd like to emphasize.

Drink lots of water 8-10 8 oz glasses a day. you get about 40% of your water from food, so if you cut down the amount of food you're eating you cut down the water your body needs, drinking more water helps maintain the water your body needs and also flushes your system.

Eat smaller amounts. If you absolutely cannot give up fast food (and you really should) then start eating half. This may sound crazy but get a plastic knife and cut your sandwich in half, if necessary throw the other half away (though with all the homeless people I see, I could never do that), eat half your fries (or simply avoid them altogether) and do the same. We have portion sizes far larger than what we need at virtually all fast food joints, and far too many restaurants (why do they expect me to buy an expensive dessert when I got a gallon of pasta on my plate at a place like the Cheesecake factory), eating only half your food and saving it for later, or splitting a meal is one of the best ways to eat at huge portion restaurants.

Also give up soft drinks. It may sound hard, but they are really terrible for you. Most sodas contain ridiculous levels of high fructose corn syrup, a simple sugar your body begins converting into instantly storable sugar in your mouth! Soda companies use it because it's very very cheap, but it's also utterly terrible for the human body system, I wouldn't be surprised to see high fructose corn syrup come under FDA regulation in the next ten-twenty years, especially with people getting away with suing mcdonalds.

Take vitamin and mineral supplements. Preferably take vitamins and minerals that are plant extracts in colloidal (suspended in liquid) form because your body asorbs an extremely high percentage of these supplements. metallic minerals are next to useless for you, so don't go for the cheap stuff. Your body needs 90 vitamins and minerals a day to stay in optimum health, ask any veternarian. veternary preventative medicine is steeped in good nutrition, why don't turkeys (or other livestock) get angioplasties even with diets formulated to make them immensely fat in as short a time as possible? Because their feed is formulated with high amounts of copper (and other nutrient supplements), your body needs copper to strengthen the walls of your veins and arteries. You DO NOT get all the vitamins and minerals you need from your four basic food groups and just eating well, many of the trace minerals especially. Your body will function, but you'll stay in optimum health with good vitamins and mineral supplements. Virtually all feed for the animals we keep, be they livestock or domestic is formulated so that they are stronger, healthier, and survive for as long as possible. Since people eat whatever they like, we need to supplement our food with supplements to be as healthy as our animals. [​IMG]

Adam

12. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Bike to work!

[​IMG] I've said my peas.

Jay

13. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

I'd recommend the Atkins plan to anyone. I gave my boss the Atkins book a few years ago and he's still follwoing the plan. It's much different than what the media portrays it as. You eat vegetables just not certain ones. The BIGGEST benefit is the ability to lose weight FAST. I dropped 30 pds going from 215 to 185. I then went back to my TERRIBLE eating lifestyle and only gained half back. I'd say that's not too bad but obviously not ideal. Then again most people say you gain all of your weight back and more. If I would change my lifestyle completely then I would not have gained that weight back but oh well.

Didn't you hear??? The beer belly is going to be 'in' in the year 2010. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!!!

14. wally

wally Second Unit

Atkins [​IMG]

I lost close to 50 pounds in a month. Without the extra weight and inchs it was significantly easier to start an exercise program. I went back to regular eating routine after that month.

I believe Atkins is a fantastic jump start.

15. Mike Blais

Mike Blais Stunt Coordinator

I 'll second weight watchers. Not really a diet, it's more just training yourself to eat properly. I lost 40 pounds by staying pretty strict and now that I've relaxed my restrictions I've kept my overall loss to 30 pounds (where I am happy) for the last few months .

16. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

17. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Atkins was a kook

Maybe, but it's hard to argue with the results a lot of people have seen.

18. Chris_Morris

19. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

20. Chris_Morris