1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need to help Mom .......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dean Thomas, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Dean Thomas

Dean Thomas Auditioning

My parents retirement home burnt to the ground following a lightning strike (what an ordeal) and they are now in the late stages of rebuilding. My mother loves music and wants my help in designing a new complete system for her home. To that end, I need some help on speakers.

Here are some of the constraints for selection:

1. The room the system will be in is huge with 20' ceilings.

2. She is not an audiophile, but loves fullness of sound. I don't believe she could distinguish the difference between a Polk and a Diva/Paradigm.

3. Her budget for speakers alone is around $1,000.

4. She will use the system for a combination of music and home theater. A little more music than theater.

What speaker system would the experts here suggest for such a limited budget and such a large room?

2. Michael John R

The Diva's seem to be getting rave reviews. Maybe give AV123 a call and see what they suggest. I called them, gave them my budget and they actually discounted stuff and I ended up with a killer new system.

They seem really good to deal with.

3. Dean Thomas

Dean Thomas Auditioning

Yea, I know that they are good - but I find it hard to believe that I will be able to put together a 6 speaker 5.1 system from Diva for around $1,000. I think that they are too good for her wallet. I can do this with a low end Paradigm system, but I am concerned about the low end systems ability to fill the large room.

Thanks for the post.