need to go pickup new DVD player, need quick opinions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan Mann, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

My Sony 330 won't cut it anymore. It has a lip sync problem, and it doesn't play CDRs, two things I want to be able to do. I'm looking to get something locally and I want it to be fairly inexpensive (sub $300). I don't need a changer but would like the following in order of precedence
    Digital Coax and Optical outputs
    No Lip Sync problem
    Ability to play CDR/CDRW
    Ability to play VCD and SVCD
    Ability to play MinIDVD
    In addition, it would be nice if it has friendly menus and a decent remote (although I'm going to get a TSU2000 very soon anyway).
    Apex and Afreey have some inexpensive units that supposedly play everythin but I don't know much about quality.
    Pioneer also has an inexpensive unit with component out and progressive scan that's supposed to play everything.
    All opinions needed!

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

There are a couple of good threads on this topic that should be around somewhere......
    I just picked up a Pioneer DV-C503 this week and it seems to fit what you're looking for. 5 disc etc. etc. I'm not sure about mini DVD since I've never heard of such, but I know it plays the other formats.
    The instructions and specs don't specifically state that it will play CD-RW, but I've contacted several people who say that it does. (haven't tried myself yet...don't use RW's for music.)
    All that for $170.

3. YANG

YANG Second Unit

"Digital Coax and Optical outputs
    No Lip Sync problem
    Ability to play CDR/CDRW
    Ability to play VCD and SVCD
    Ability to play MinIDVD"
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    PHILIPS DVDplayers maybe a possible match for you,they can play those mini-3inch CDs and CDRs...as for miniDVDs...err...
    Currently in the U.S,the most popular PHILIPS player now is the DVD711.

4. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

I would try one of the new Toshiba's. I've got a 3"DVD from Artisan that plays just fine, and my Toshiba 2109 has been a great player for years. I'm not sure of CD-R/RW capability, however. I'd also second that vote for Phillips' players. Their GUI is a little weird, but the quality is very good.
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

5. Frederic_M

Frederic_M Auditioning

Go for a new Toshiba or Pioneer model.

6. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

After reading a few other threads and this one, it looks like Pioneer is the winner. Either the brand spanking new 440 or the 343. Toshiba is out of the question because I have a 4:3 set, and no other brand had nearly enough mentions.

7. Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace Second Unit

The Pioneer will give you a great picture, but be wary of lip sync probs. I was one of the first 414 victims years ago, and have been wary ever since. If they've become more dependable in that regard, then I'm sure you will get a good unit.
    Matt
    ------------------
    "And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

8. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

JVC-723GD has DD, DTS and DVD-Audio decoding as well as progressive scan. Retail price is $899, but can be found nearly everywhere for 350 or so.

9. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

FYI, Sony can fix the lip synch issue on your current DVP-330. I used to own that player, and Sony repaired it free of charge. They replaced two IC's and upgraded the firmware. After the repair, I did not have a single lip synch issue for over a year (I sold the player when upgrading to a progressive scan player).
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

10. Evan Mann

Evan Mann Agent

Scott,
    I followed all the Sony lip sync threads and remember the repair and how the lip sync problems get worse the more you use it. When I replace this player, I will call and see if they will still repair it. If not, it's no big deal since it's going to see no use for a while, and perhaps never see use again (to my eyes).