What's new

Need to do a cheap subwoofer, already have a driver. (1 Viewer)

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I got a cheapo driver here that is about 6 inches. Just need to do a basic subwoofer, all I need is a cheap amplifier, maybe something like 20 watts. It doesn't need to be powerful at all, just something to give a little oomph to the system. Not looking to spend alot as this is for my cousins girlfriend and she is well... pretty broke.

Any help would be appreciated that could be given... Also I will be running this off the sub-out with a normal coax cable... Thanks for any help.

The amp needs to have a Line In.

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
If you have TS specs for the driver then plug em into Winisd and design the box there to maximize performance. As for the amp, look for an old stereo amp because a sub amp will run you over $100 for 100W. Tell her to corner load the sub.

Arthur_King

Stunt Coordinator
Not intending to hijack the thread, but since it seems you received your answer, maybe I can put one out there.

Ive heard many a person indicate that they were contemplating using an old receiver to power a sub. The little tiny bit of electronics that I know isn't jiving with this. What i mean is, say I have a home theatre and I have a nice HT receiver with 5.1 blah blah. The outputs from the receiver are amped at say 100w/channel. How am I to run that through ANOTHER receivers input (which should be expecting line level) and then through ANOTHER amp to go out to the subwoofer. Maybe im missing something.

Do I need to go crack a real EE book and read for a while? What am I missing. Isnt there a huge impedance difference between the Linelevel (RCA) input on a receiver and what is expected?

Daffy Arthur King

Andrew Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Pierce
Arthur,

Almost all 5.1 receivers put out 5 amplified channels and have only a line level sub out. Occasionally you'll find all-in-one home theater systems which come with a passive sub with amplification for it in the head unit, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks